Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

Taxodium mucronatum X Crytomeria fortunei, yea or nay?

davidrt28 (zone 7)
11 years ago

I seem to recall that some years ago these putative hybrids had been dismissed as not existing. Well, today I found this:

http://www.cabdirect.org/abstracts/20103007282.html

Hard to believe they would still be writing articles about something that doesn't exist...

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.cabdirect.org/abstracts/20103007282.html

Comments (22)

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I want a Taxodiomeria.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.google.com/patents?id=XiGAAAAAEBAJ

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

There's a story and some drawings, how about some reliable pics of this cross?

• lou_spicewood_tx
    11 years ago

I got pictures from China. I have to admit that it looks interesting enough. One speculated that it should retain the cultivar name but change where it came from. It appears to be 100% MC with unique looks. Until we get DNA testing, it's purely speculative.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Lou, will you share these pictures with us?
    I'm very curious how this conifer looks like :0)

• blue_yew
    11 years ago

Yes photos would be fantastic

• ltruett
    11 years ago

There was a research article from 2006 showing that it was not a hybrid.

"PCR-RFLP and AP-PCR of rbcL and ITS of rDNA Show That �Taxodiomeria peizhongii(Taxodium � Cryptomeria) Is not an
    Intergeneric Hybrid"

• ltruett
    11 years ago

Here is a picture of it.

• pineresin
    11 years ago

Yep, pure Taxodium, no Cryptomeria in that.

Resin

• lou_spicewood_tx
    11 years ago

Well, ltruett provided the picture I sent him. I don't know if this person will get some into USA. I'm one of first ones to try them out.

There is also MC x PC hybrid that looks like PC but with MC's evergreen from what I was told by the same person that showed me the picture by ltruett. That would be cool to have some during late fall/early winter when they are still green.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    11 years ago

This is MCxPC hybrid from China.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    11 years ago

To complement ltruett's pic of that MCxCF tree...

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the improved picture. It's amusing that after being debunked by another group of scientists, they willfully continue to refer to it in research papers by the putative hybrid name.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    11 years ago

David, I understand but there are people out there still interested in it despite the fact it is 100% MC anyway. It is unique enough to be taken seriously for sale or collection.

• davecreech
    11 years ago

'Dongfangshan', the purported hybrid is probably just a unique MC. Now in USA. Grafted 11-29-2012 on vigorous T405 as a rootstock. T405 is a hybrid between MC and BC. Used a side veneer graft. Warm greenhouse and 75 Watt bulb on for one hour in middle of night for photoperiod interruption. Although bad time of year for grafting, buds pushed at three weeks . . . I've seen the tree in Shanghai, Nanjing, Ninghai and in other locations. Generally discounted as a Taxodiomeria but recognized as a salt tolerant deciduous tree of interesting merit.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Welcome to the forum, Professor Creech!
    Thanks for the update. I'm glad someone has taken the initiative to get this into the country. I look forward to seeing them in nurseries in a few years.

• davecreech
    10 years ago

We successfully grafted ten trees with Dongfangshan (the purported Cryptomeria X Taxodium hyrbrid) in Dec 2012, kept them under light interruption, and potted them up in the spring. They are about 6' tall now. They are different than our BC X MC hyrbids and have pond cypress like foliage but denser. Young vigorous branches have a bluish cast. When a hard freeze hit in late Oct 2013 they quickly defoliated and look fine, but the BC X MC hybrids are still retaining foliage at this writing. An attempt at cutting propagation was a total failure while the BC X MC hybrids rooted at high percentages. All our trees will be planted out this winter at SFA Gardens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dongfangshan

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

Those upright trees look almost exactly like my pond cypresses.

• pineresin
    10 years ago

"Here is a link that might be useful: Dongfangshan"

Where it says "The famous lion - tiger of the big tree world - fact or fiction?"

Fiction. But if it had been true, it would be more comparable to a lion - cheetah hybrid. Taxodium and Crytomeria are nowhere near as closely related to each other, as lion and tiger are.

Resin

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Too bad they have to be grafted, but at least Dr. Creech has helped introduce the clone to the US.
    I wish Botanyshop had not run out of Taxodium X 'Nanjing Beauty'...as I accidentally killed mine and nobody else seems to have them. I emailed them last summer about whether they will ever have them again, and they didn't get back to me. ;-(

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

doc said: kept them under light interruption

===>>> what is that?

i tried google with no luck

TIA

ken

• sugi
    9 years ago

Hi all!

What's new about this crossing, somebody can share with us other pictures or informations?

• lou_spicewood_tx
    9 years ago

sugi,

DNA testing showed no crossing breed.

Ken,

I think it is just a way to interrupt normal cycle at that time of the year to promote growth.

I might get a chance to get one this fall along with two more hybrids including one being MCxPC and other one I have no idea. I will share pictures if possible.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals