Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jillian_plicplic

Weeping larch - how to stake?

jillian_plicplic
17 years ago

I have a small weeping larch that I bought and planted last spring. At that time, it was about 15" tall, with about 15" of "weeping" branch (forgive the terminology - I'm not really familiar with weeping trees yet!). It didn't occur to me until recently that I don't know if it will get any taller or if it will just continue to grow along the ground. It appears from a quick google that the height is determined by how you stake it. Since it's already bent over in a weeping form, is it too late to train it to be taller? If staking is possible, how would one achieve it?

Comments (13)

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

Select a leader and tie it to a sturdy vertical support.

• jillian_plicplic
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oops! Forgot to follow up with this... What do I do if it already has a leader that's bent over? Basically, the tree has one sturdy central trunk, perhaps 1/2" in diameter, that comes up about 15" and then bends over. It's pretty woody growth and doesn't want to be straightened up, but I'd really like to persuade it to grow a bit taller before the weeping starts! Is this even possible?

• karinl
    17 years ago

If it can still be straightened at all, its shape can be trained. It may need pretty stringent tying to a pretty sturdy support. You simply have to have a stronger will than the tree!

• jillian_plicplic
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ha! So coming up in my front yard: Jillian vs. the larch, Battle of Wills!

It can be straightened, but not all the way. I'm afraid I'll damage it if I try to straighten it all the way up. So I guess the solution is to get creative with its shape? Perhaps I should google some images to see what "typical" weeping larches (or weeping tree forms in general) look like. I like the blue-grey trees I see around town that people have trained along their fencelines, but alas, I have no fence to train this larch along!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    17 years ago

whats your hurry .. this a tree not an annual ...

i have been working on straightening some conifers for 5 years... and i hope in another 5 years.. i will win .. lol ...

NEVER tie new growth .. to tender ... tie last years growth .. and MAYBE later in the season ... maybe around nov .... tie this years growth ...

this is a life time project.. i find it very soothing to go out and fondle my trees.. lol ...

if you could post a picture... maybe we could add some ideas ...

otherwise.. sometimes its just easier to start training up a lower branch.. and create a new leader .... and let the old one do its thing ....

this is more inline with 'art' rather than gardening .... be the tree ... ohhmmmm ...

ken

17 years ago

lots of pix .... beware ... here is art defined ...

first.. let me disabuse you of ever having a straight leader ..... here i have painted on an idea of what the trunk on this one looks like ... the top of the poles is about 12 feet ... i am getting a bit carried away here... why not ... ignore the slip and slide ..

{{gwi:754610}}

also note that there are two weepers sold under the name larix xxx pendula ... there is Larix decidua 'Pendula'
    and Larix kaempferi 'Pendula' .. with good pix Resin can ID yours for you ... though it really doesnt make a difference ... the only reason i noticed .... is i realized that my two plants were different.. doing different things at different times .... go figure on that ... though it is basically inperceivable to most people ..

{{gwi:754614}}

note the posts.. and the big rope ... clothes line actually .. i like it big.. because it calls me to it.. i tighen and loosen them often .... and big rope is easy to untie and retie ...

{{gwi:754617}}

look close and see the last tie... a piece of nylons way near the tip ... about 3 inches from the top of LAST years growth .. i do NOT tie this years growth EVER ... you will break it .... and that is why the trunk bends back and forth over time ...

BTW .. this tree is extremely pliable .... you can bend old growth.. within reason rather easily .. and you can bend it a bit.. then wait a few weeks and bend a bit more.. etc .. no one says it HAS TO BE bent all at once ... or you can let one go down.. and start another up ...

as i said.. this is a 10 year project.. you will end up with something so UNIQUE .. that garden friends will drool ... i have seen some one basically do what i am doing.. about 8 feet apart ... and then connect the two poles.. and train it into an arc ... lol .. now that is getting carried away ...

the rest are extra pix for you to study .. and get some ideas about what to do ... good luck

ken

{{gwi:754619}}

{{gwi:754622}}

{{gwi:754625}}

{{gwi:754628}}

{{gwi:754630}}

{{gwi:754632}}

• jen0528
    16 years ago

Hello, this is my first time visiting this site and, obviously then, my first time posting. I hope it's OK that I'm jumping right in. I am new to gardening and have just planted a Weeping European Larch. I received little to no direction from the nursery it was purchased at and am searching for how to "get creative" with it. Ken, it appears your photos are not available anymore? Perhaps you aren't a regular poster, either, but if you are and happen upon this message, I would LOVE to see what you've done with your larch. It sounds very interesting and I've been unable to find anything online that resembles what you describe. Or, if anyone else has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers everyone!
    Jen
    PS I realize this is a year-old thread... crossing fingers!

16 years ago

hey jen ... start a new thread .. and i will find the pictures.. the best reason to start a new post .. is that you can check the box, to have the replies to come to your mailbox.. instead of the other person ..

also .. if you would have hit the link on my name.. you could have emailed me direct ... and started us off ...

welcome to the forums.. i will look for your new post and starting a discourse with you ...

ken

• dcsteg
    16 years ago

If it has taken a set where it bends and is not flexible you can never straighten that area of the trunk. If it is bendable drive a heavy wall pipe 3/4 diameter as close to trunk as possible. Inch it down past root stock then drive on down to desired height you want it. This same method also applies if the trunk has taken a set and you don't mind a small offset to trunk grab main leader and stretch tape it to pipe. The pendulous growth habit will eventually cover this crook in the trunk. You will have to make adjustments with the tape and the leader as it grows. With this method you can correct growth pattern.

Dave

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Note that the "weeping European larch" of contemporary commerce is actually weeping Japanese larch.

• bluespruce53
    16 years ago

Both forms, Larix kaempferi Pendula and Larix decidua Pendula do exist, at least here in the UK, and are quite distinct when viewed side by side.
    Bluespruce.

• treelover3
    16 years ago

And, if you want a nice, sturdy support, that is also decorative, use a 10' section of 1" copper pipe found at any home store. They also have caps to put on the top of the pipe to keep the rain out, etc.

It's easy to pound the pipe into the ground, but use a piece of wood to put on the top of the pipe and then hit the wood with the hammer. Don't hit the pipe with the hammer or you won't be able to get a cap on it, if desired. Put the pipe in the ground a good 3' or so for best support. The copper develops a very nice patina after a couple of years.

Even though your plant's leader is bending over now, it will throw new stems that can be trained up to give height to the plant - don't force the leader upright now, you will potentially damage the plant and it's not worth it. My weeping larch throws new growth straight up all the time. Once this growth gets too long, it bends over and weeps, but it could be tied to a support to give my plant more height.
    Good luck,
    Mike

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

I didn't say there weren't weeping forms of European larch. In fact, I have seen an old one in a Seattle park myself. My point is that what is offered now is, for all practical purposes always Japanese, in my experience (and the experience of others). Photos from UK show the same plant with the same mis-labeling. Very high likelihood specimen being discussed Japanese.