Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Green Giant Arborvitae

Posted by garde_newbie_2010 MA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 23, 10 at 16:34

I recently had 3 green giant arborvitae planted in our yard. Just noticed one of them the leading main trunk stopped growing at the tip and a side branch close to the tip is becoming the leader. i wonder if i could just cut the tip of the main truck to just below the side branch hoping that the main trunk will resume growing. Will it work?? Or will it stun the growth of the main truck? Thanks a lot!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Green Giant Arborvitae

a picture would sure help..

since your words seem to imply that it is putting up a new leader.. and your idea is to cut off the new leader .... so it can form a new leader ???

want to try again??

ken

o

Cut the trunk either completely off or cut it to a place where it would become a new, side-branch. Stake the other to become the new main-leader. Others will say it's not necessary to stake it, however, personally if it were me - I would.

Dax

o

Thanks for the followups!! i guess the basic question i had was, i want the main trunk to keep growing and continue to be the leader. but if i had to cut it at the top, will it still grow or will it stop growing?

thank you!!

o

I had what I thought were Thuja Green Giant arborvitae.
I now read that a true Green Giant Arborvitae has only one leader it grows like a tree, But my supposed Green Giants have multiple leaders, it's growing in bush form, The Foliage looks like Green Giant, Shoul I prune out the extra leaders, leave only one main leader?
What would be the proper way to prune?
Al

o

hey al ....

single trunk GG are best ... especially if snow load is an issue ...

i presume you replied to this very old post.. because you were searching for answers.. good for you ... but if you started your own post.. answers could be sent to your own email ...

multiple leaders are a problem caused by the propagation methods ... single leaders are not indicative of plant ID ...

in other words.. just because they are not single leader.. does not mean they are not GG ...

take off multiple leaders at the trunk ... leaving the branch collar if possible .... if there are many.. i dont know how many i would do at once .... if there were 4.. i might take two.. and cut the others halfway down.. to make a single dominant leader.. and then next year take the other two out ....

dont worry if the plant looks thin.. it will fill in nicely ...

but before you act.. when were these planted ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here