Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harv2016

South Dakota Spring #2

harv2016
10 years ago

A few more pictures from various gardens.

Comments (14)

• sprucebud
    10 years ago

Very attractive. Please can you identify the upright neat columnar conifer in picture 4 next to the Picea pungens 'The Blues'(?)
    Richard

• baxswoh
    10 years ago

Nothing says South Dakota like Flamingos. Great pics.

• gardener365
    10 years ago

It's gotta be awesome having an older landscape. Question: What's the sea of green in the last photo? Also what's the Bosnian-looking pine behind the left flamingo?

Your soil appears jet black. I wish mine was. Advantage Harv!

Dax

• unprofessional
    10 years ago

What's the weeping spruce in #2? Doesn't look like Reflexa.

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    10 years ago

South Dakota looking real good Harv!

AL

• harv2016
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Appreciate the kind comments, it's been a kind spring compared to last year and the plants are reponding accordingly. Richard, that plant is Picea pungens 'Fastigiata', doesn't handle our snow load very well. Had an ice storm this spring that opened it up quite bad. The weeping pungens beside was one of my first plants I bought that got me started years back and made the trip with me when I moved. Was unlabeled so I guess just a Picea pungens 'Pendula'.
    Dax the plant being kept company by the flamingo, love pastic flamingos, is Pinus mugo 'Columnaris'. Been a wonderful plant that I like more each year I have it. The sea of green is a living mulch I've been working with, not sure of the name. Mulch is getting so exspensive and I'm getting older. I've been using several different living mulches that work well at surpressing weeds but yet stay short enough to no interfer with the conifers. And yes I live a few miles from Iowa and the soil is black and deep.
    The weeping spruce in photo two is Picea glauca 'Pendula'.

• ogcon
    10 years ago

Great looking place to say the least.Any chance you'd post
    another shot of Picea glauca'Pendula' showing the entire tree?You may know the various forms of this one were under much discussion recently.Your source for this would be of interest also.Doug

• harv2016
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'd be happy to get pictures. I have four of them of various ages all originated at Iseli nurseries over a period of several years. It's one of those plant I keep an eye out for, and when priced reasonably I'll pick up, one of my favorites, such a small footprint. I followed that discussion and then went and looked at mine. The smallest is narrower than the others, but I've only had him for a few years and he started life rough.

• illinois_john
    10 years ago

Beautiful place you have, our tastes are similar, I too have (4) Picea glauca 'pendula' and hope for more. That Pinus mugo 'Comumnaris' has been added to my wish list.

Thanks for sharing.

• arceesmith
    10 years ago

I have really enjoyed your posts from South Dakota! I have been living with the misconception that SD was barren, but you've show how lovely it can be! How long is your growing season?

• harv2016
    Original Author
    10 years ago

RC, we moved to this place, it's been about 15 yrs. I moved about ten conifer freinds with me. The place was a cornfeild before we built. And that's one of the things I loved about this place is I have two acre of land with natural tilth,no construction soil. And it has no lines, pipes, electrical service, nothing, so I can dig like a gopher. South Dakota at least in the eastern part is the same as Iowa. I'm a solid zone 4b, but I sneak a few 5's in there now and then. My only grip is I can not grow Japenese Maples, killed many trying, and guess I'll keep trying. Eastern South Dakota is a very lush area, on of the best kept secrets of the U.S., just IMHO!

• arceesmith
    10 years ago

Thanks Harv! We're looking for a small town/couple acres to retire in. Looks like there's a new contender!

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

Impressive for a former prairie. What's the hardwood (burr oak?) in the first pic?

• harv2016
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No it's a Merrill magnolia, doing real well, I've been pleased with it. I do have quite a few bur oaks though, one of our better native trees

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert