Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Bosnian Pines in Upper Midwest

whaas_5a
9 years ago

Anyone have established Bosnian Pines (larger growing varieties like the species) in the upper midwest?

Curioius as to where you are located and what kind of damage, if any, your plants sustained.

Comments (14)

• pineresin
    9 years ago

Any reports of either susceptibility, or resistance, to pine wilt nematode?

Resin

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i dont have any heldreichii in my MI ..

which probably means gary gee doesnt offer them ... or i never saw them there ... there is always a chance there were one or two ...

does MI count as upper midwest???

ken

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, I should have specifically mentioned winter damage.

I've read or was told at one point that Bosnian pine is a preferred replacement to Austrian pine due to pine wilt resistance. No proof at this point as I rarely see them as Ken eluded to.

Ken, you bet MI is upper Midwest. I know I give you hard time about the zone 4 winter comment but you folks had it rough in MI anyway you cut it.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

you could call gary gee and ask him.. if you can get him to answer the phone ... or maybe cary would know off hand if its in their arborteum ... though he zone pushes a bit more than i can get away with... and i never figured that out ...

i dont recall it at hidden lakes ...

ken

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is an example of a smaller/medium cultivar that was not exposed to too much winter sun. Its looking pretty good. Same goes for Compact Gem, Mint Truffle, Irish Bell and Schmidtii

{{gwi:662303}}

Here is a screening specimen that is exposed to plenty winter sun. I'm debating if I'm going to pull it and put something more suitable given the winter sun and wind location, like a Pinus cembra. And yes my neighbor scalps his grass and cuts in several feet of my lawn.

{{gwi:329483}}

• plantkiller_il_5
    9 years ago

ken, it's kary

• gardener365
    9 years ago

I have small grafts that look good. A few needles at the base that browned over winter but the rest of the graft is perfect. Then! I have a seedling that's only been in the ground a few years that turned completely brown this winter that's maybe 15" tall but has 10x the foliage of the grafts. It's bouncing back however and starting over. I wouldn't yank them whaas. These winters don't occur frequently enough to warrant doing so.

So far so good, Resin. Not much I can tell you about my own plants, but what I can tell you is from all my journey's to arboreta, nurseries, and private gardens, I've never seen any wilting or yellowing or die-back on a single specimen; nor have I heard any discussion of PWN from anyone... so imo it's quite safe to say there are none cases of Bosnian pine having become infected.

Dax

• basic
    9 years ago

I've got a small Bosnian that looks dead above the snow line. I'm going to leave it "as is" over summer before making any decisions on it. I thought it was a ligitimate z4 tree, but I'm not so sure about that anymore. I'm hoping it was just a one-off winter thing, and to show my optimism, I went out this spring and bought another. Go figure.

• gardener365
    9 years ago

It's zone 5, pretty sure. A book Resin recommended I buy 'Conifers', Keith Rushforth, has it as zone 6.

Dax

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Basic, what size and cultivar do you have? Are the buds above the snow line showing or are they done for?

Snow line is all over the board for some folks. For me it was only 12" or so so that winter sun was a kiiller especially in March.

• basic
    9 years ago

I've got a seedling that is about 4'. I'm pretty sure it's dead on top. Whaas, I wish mine looked as good as yours.

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

Where did you find Bosnian Pine? They seem hard to find.

Oh, here is an article that had me looking up Bosnian Pines

Here is a link that might be useful: The Search for Alternatives to Disease-Prone Pines in Coastal Landscapes

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    9 years ago

Not sure I qualify as Upper Midwest - had an Irish Bell for 4-5 years that was doing fine until I tried moving it. All the soil fell out of the root ball while moving , went ahead and planted, but it never recovered.
    Marshall