Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ritmatt_gw

Latest Additions

ritmatt
10 years ago

You longtime forum users have seen these plants before, but they're all new to me. Thought I'd share what I'm planting here in Georgia, thanks to continued personal interest and more than a little influence from YOU.

Picea abies 'Perry's Gold'
{{gwi:755503}}

Pinus koraiensis 'Dragon's Eye'
{{gwi:755505}}

Pinus strobus 'Mini Twists'
{{gwi:755507}}

Just enjoyed a welcome rain shower this afternoon. Cooled things off a bit.

Matt

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

supreme..

but are you sure that is a kor. OD??? looks more like a densiflora ...

thx for the pix

ken

• ritmatt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, they say that 40% of people that are "99% sure" they are correct are actually wrong. That said, yes, I'm 99% sure it is P. koraiensis, not P. densiflora. I have a P. densiflora also, and the needles emerge in a completely different way than they do on this specimen. :)

• ritmatt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, also, P. koraiensis has 5 needles per fascile, while P. densiflora has just 2. You did get me to walk outside and check, though. :)

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Matt, you bought some nice additions, and yep, that's a Pinus koraiensis 'Dragon Eye' (not 'Dragon's Eye').
    I was wondering if there's some soil in that pot, as I don't see any....maybe it's a nursery crisis thing ;0)

• barbaraincalif
    10 years ago

Those are all big, beautiful, hard to find conifers..I would be excited to have any of those!

I've been gardening for decades, but planted a wooden-box grown plant into the yard the 'proper' way for the first time last week (always wanted to save the box, but at the plant's expense). Found out that when you cut those metal bands with a pair of tin snips, the box will fall apart with a little coaxing and make removing the plant a breeze. I'm sure 99% of the folks here know that already, but it was a momentous occasion for me.

What else you got there?

Barbara

• ritmatt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Edwin - ha! Yes, looks like they had a bit of a dirt shortage, huh?

Barbara - I was thinking the same thing. I understand what I'm supposed to do with the box, but it seems a shame to destroy it. Better to destroy the box than the tree, though, I suppose.

Other items in my "holding area" include:

Abelia mosanensis
    Abies Alba (this one was a gift, the recommendation was to keep it potted up, probably)
    Cedrus deodora 'Prostrate Beauty'
    Cryptomeria japonica 'Black Dragon'
    Platycladus orientalis 'Morgan'

Also, an unidentified dwarf crape myrtle, forsythia, and a few other odds and ends that were gifts or that I dug up around the yard.

One problem I've got is that I'm running out of "afternoon shade" spots around the house. Plenty of full sun locations still available, though.

Thanks for your comments and interest.

Matt