Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
candeelyn

Irish eyes cypress

Candeelyn
9 years ago

We planted two Irish eyes cypress last year, one slowly turned brown right away (we followed the planting instructions) and we returned it. The other one looked real nice and healthy. We had a tough winter with snow and ice. The tree looked brown and dead in the beginning of Spring. I planned to dig it up but noticed parts of it were turning green. I've let it go and it is getting more green spots.
Can it be okay? Should I pitch it?
( I don't know a lot about trees, we just researched for something that would make our yard more private..)

If this is no good. any suggestions for something that would give privacy ?
Thanks for any help!

Comments (11)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

a pic would sure help ...

it all comes down to how much patience you have and how good it looks ...

if you have a warranty still.. perhaps it would be best to return it ...

i dont know what else to tell you.. w/o a pic...

ken

• Candeelyn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm kind of embarrassed to post this but it was completely brown and keeps getting green in spots. Is it worth saving? I have patience and have saved a lot of plants from the discount cart. However not sure about this..
    Thanks!

9 years ago

Is it worth saving?

==>>> there is nothing to save.. be done with it

mulch next time .. and prefect proper watering

ken

• Candeelyn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It was mulched previously.. We moved it away in preparation to dig it up.. as far as watering we watered it per instructions.. I have heard similar stories about these from others..
    .Can you suggest any other type of tree that would be easier to grow that would be a good screen? We planted a row of arborvitae's on the side yard and they are doing real well. Just would like something wider in front..

• kat432
    9 years ago

Hello, I just found your question. We planted five of these over summer 2014 and they are all brown after an exceptionally cold winter. We are in zone 5b and the tag stated cold hardy to zone 5. Did your tree(s) survive? If so, how long did it take for them to turn green? I do love the way they look; but not sure if I want to deal with this every year. I found this on another Q&A: National Gardening Association

'Irish Eyes' is a culitvar of Leyland cypress (x Cupressocyparis leylandii). Leland cypress is considered hardy to zone 6 (average winter lows of 0 to -10 F), so they are a suitable choice for your region. But this past winter was hardly average, with the polar vortex sending winter temperatures down unusually low in many area. Many plants such as Leyland cypress that are planted at the northern limits of their hardiness probably suffered cold damage. You trees suffered winter injury, but if you see new growth coming out, that's a good sign. At this point you just need to wait and see how much growth regenerates and prune out any wood that doesn't come back. But give your plants a chance to recover before you do any drastic pruning so you don't cut away any more than you need to. You can aid in their recovery by trying to keep your plants from experiencing any additional stress -- water during dry spells this season, for example -- and hold off on any fertilization until they have recovered.

9 years ago

start your own post next time...

no leyland.. ever survived in my z5 mi ... none.. never.. nil.. nada... etc

ken

• Candeelyn
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    We ditched the Irish eyes n planted 2 Leland cypress... Which are doing well! Growing nice and look beautiful!
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

That's a bit confusing :-) 'Irish Eyes' IS a Leyland cypress..........no reason to assume the generic selection is any hardier than the cultivars.

• Candeelyn
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes they are but from what I've been told the Irish eyes is a smaller type of Leyland cypress.. whatever the case the ones we have now are doing well!

• Mike McGarvey
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Get back to us next Spring and tell us how they're doing.
    Mike

• Candeelyn
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    We planted them last year and they survived Over winter. They are growing quickly and look good.:)