Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chanticleer

Posted by maple_grove 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 26, 12 at 18:03

Last weekend I visited Chanticleer garden in Wayne PA. Situated on 45 acres, the gardens have a quiet, intimate feeling. The use of conifers was confined to large-growing cultivars of well-known time-tested selections. Lots of interesting architecture here, and as you'll see the conifers were used almost as architectural pieces, sculptural exlamation points. Not quite the conifer collectors' garden, but very effective and engaging.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

-Alex

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chanticleer

Nice tour, Alex. Thank you.

tj

o

Love that fourth photo! I think conifers ARE sculptural pieces. Sometimes quite literally.

o

Brilliant! Thankyou

o

Love all the tall monsters. Looks otherworldly. Thank you for sharing.

o

Good stuff. I like the nootkatensis! And that patio with the trees growing out of it. Nice!

o

Thanks for the tour!
No name tags?

o

Thanks, tj, Greenhaven, severnside, Garen, sluice and Edwin.

Edwin, the plants were not tagged. They have comprehensive lists of plants present in each garden area. They weren't always readily accessible, and with the youngin's there (I see that little Madeline has snuck into one of the photos), I wasn't able to give as much attention as I'd have liked to conifer ID, for the must part had to getting by with rough ID based on sight recognition. Is there anything in particular you'd like to ID? Let me know and I can try and track it down.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chanticleer Plant Lists

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here