Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stuartlawrence

How far to plant Golden Mop from Weeping Connifers

Hey guys,

I would like to plant two False Cypress Gold Mops in front of my weeping conifers. Each Gold Mop would be planted in front of my 2ft tall Bush's Lace Engleman Spruce and my 2ft tall Weeping Serbian Spruce. How many feet should the Gold Mop be planted from the two conifers?

Thanks

Comments (6)

• ogcon
    10 years ago

Hey Stuart,this sounds like Kens kinda thing so I'll defer except to ask,why would you want to plant two of the same
    side by side.You could stagger 3 across the front and givethe plants 6 to 8 feet of distance for the long haul I suppose.Doug

• stuartlawrence (7b L.I. NY)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I appreciate the help. The two Weeping Conifers are several feet apart. I would put a gold mop on the left, a gold mop on the right and a Dwarf Globe Blue Spruce in the middle. Do you think that would work or would a gold mop in the middle be better than a Dwarf Globe Blue Spruce in the middle?

I'm trying to create a small attractive garden for a couple weeping conifers. I've posted a picture of the two trees. Any suggestions on what to put between the two weeping conifers? Would the green arrow be too close to the weeping conifers on either side? Any suggestions on what I could put in the middle? Can I fit another weeping conifer? I'm removing my current small gold mop and will be replacing it with a larger one which I just bought. I have a small Japanese maple which I have there as well. Any suggestion on plants to complement the garden?

Thanks

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

Hello Stuart,

Sometimes photos can be a bit deceiving. I am thinking your two weepers are to close to the fence. Looking head on I am not seeing the depth perception I need.

I would place them about 8 ft. centers from the fence to allow plenty of light and air for balanced growth.

The Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Golden Mop' can be grown two ways. If left to free range expect 4 high x 7 wide in 10 years and they keep on growing from there. You can selectively prune them twice a year to keep them in check for the desired look you want. If you free range you will have to allow for plenty of room for growth for all four of the cultivars.

I planted my two weepers and the two mops in 1999. Center/center off the two weepers...3 ft. I selectively prune them twice a year to keep them in check. Not a big deal. 1-2 hours twice a year for the look I want.

Think about it. Either choice is acceptable and one you will enjoy for years.

{{gwi:756604}}

Dave

• botann
    10 years ago

I agree with Dave, you look like you're too close to the fence with your weepers.
    I'd start off with defining your bed from the lawn. It looks like you could come out to the lower part of the picture with no trouble, unless there is something interfering that I can't see. Most people make their flower beds too small and end up trimming the plants in the bed so they won't go out over the lawn, or better yet, cutting back on the lawn, giving the plants more room. It's easier to do it right the first.
    I also agree with Doug in that two of one kind side by side is a bit formal. Just a personal opinion. Formality comes with it's own set of problems.
    I've had a garden for over thirty years and deciding planting distances on growth in ten years can be a mistake that you will regret later. The blank distances can be filled in with groundcovers and mulch. I don't like to say, 'and temporary plants that you will move later'. Sometimes that doesn't happen. Ask me. :-)
    By the way, where are you?
    Mike

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Your 'Bush's Lace' will want to be about 10 feet wide eventually, the Serbian's size will depend on which cultivar it is. Dave's suggestion to plant 8 feet out would be spot on, again depending on which Serbian you have.

tj

• ricksample
    10 years ago

It looks like that entire space in the photo is only large enough for one of those conifers. I would dig up all three and put the 'bush's lace' in the middle. Keep in mind that these are trees, not bushes. They are very small now, but in 10 years they could be 8' tall x 4' wide. In 20 years they would be 16' tall x 8' wide and so on.

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County