Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Pinus thunbergiana Photo Gallery 2010

With Rose's new introduction to the garden reminding me of the need to catalog this species, here's a new thread to share your Japanese black pines with us.

One of the more beautiful pines in older age, specimens frequently add corked, warted or fissured barks to a picturesque, irregular habit. More then any conifer I suppose, this is the quintesential pine for a Japanese-themed garden.

Lots of cultivars out there and as usual many of mine are small so please share some photos of your plants if you have the time.

Pinus thunbergiana 'Kotobuki'. Great narrow dwarf. The needles are amazing.

'Gold Painted'. Wonderful varigation present, even on newer needles. Not many are gold but surely enough to be unusual. My specimen is heading STRAIGHT up and growing rapidly.

Closeup.

'Yoshimaru'. No info, growing rapidly straight up.

'Thunderhead'. I imagine yours looks similar, Rose. Enjoy!

'Red Janome'. The name strikes me as impossible, perhaps one of our in-house experts can pipe in.

-Will

Comments (20)

• buddyrose
    13 years ago

Yea Will - thunderhead. The nursery had a bunch of them. I was torn between two: one more narrow and upright (like your photo) and the one I got which I'll be adding to this thread once it's in the ground. I'm so excited I can't wait till Friday when my gardener can pick it up and plant it.

• gardener365
    13 years ago

(Pinus thunbergii). I can't help with 'Red Janome'. That Kotobuki is killer.

Thanks Will,

Dax

• sluice
    13 years ago

Ogon

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

I still don't agree with the thunbergiana thing, for me it's still thunbergii but this doesn't mather in this case, it's about it's cultivars yet...

'Gold Painted' isn't the true cultivar name, it's 'Frosty Patches', 'Luteolineata' or 'White Band'.
    These all look the same but are from a differend origin.
    When these are mixed there's nobody who can say which is which one.

Unfortunately the 'Red Janome' pic isn't that sharp to see if it's a variegated one.
    If this is the case then the true name must be 'Shirome Janome'.
    I never came across with a mixed cultivar name with the English and Japanese language so your guessing is right.

Nate, your 'Ogon' graft looks pretty good but it's time that you cut off the understock part ;0)

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinus thunbergii 'Ogon Janome'

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Edwin, I have the correct plant that goes under the name 'Shirome-Janome' and it has some mild, occasional varigation present. I am pretty sure 'Red Janome' is a new cultivar, although again the name remains suspect.

Sorry about the 'Gold Painted' naming, I did indeed confuse it with the Pinus strobus cultivar of the same name(my tags were switched for a number of months. It is indeed 'Frosty Patches', thank you Edwin.

-Will

• dcsteg
    13 years ago

Pinus t. 'Thunderhead'
    {{gwi:756680}}

Pinus t. 'Okinakabie'. A odd ball for sure. I remove new candles each spring to maintain size.
    {{gwi:756682}}

Dave

• buddyrose
    13 years ago

Will and Dave: so once my thunderhead gets to a size I want, I can remove the candles to maintain that size?

The nursery guy also said I could cut branches, clean, at the stem to keep it more "airy". I don't want it to become so dense I can't see thru it.

The one I bought already has an airy quality which I'm hoping to keep. Photos tomorrow.

• dcsteg
    13 years ago

buddyrose

You can do both. I now candle the sides because of obvious reasons but let the top continue to grow for now.

This spring for the first time I did clean out interior trash. This cultivar is a heavy interior needle dropper and build up comes on quickly. I also selectively cut unwanted limbs out for as you say more "airy" look.

A difficult cultivar to get started in the Midwest. Also because it is not native to this country it has no protection against Pine Wilt Nematode. So far only Scots and Austrian pines are effected around here.

A great cultivar. Good enough in my opinion to be a focal point conifer of interest if you have that special place to plant it.

Dave

• buddyrose
    13 years ago

Dave, thanks. I have a 3 tier water fountain and am going to plant my pine next to it (leaving plenty of room for growth!). There will be a slight Zen feeling and it's where I have my lounge chair and I like to read there.

I'll also be able to see this pine from both my eating areas. Now mind you Dave, my garden is small so I will be able to see my pine from all corners but I like this vantage point in my garden.

I'll post photos tomorrow when it's in the ground. I hope Ken didn't "jinx" me with his concern about planting during summer heat. Throwing salt over my shoulder NOW. LOL

Rose

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great looking conifer Dave, especially elegant with the Japanese tower-art behind it. I need a few of those!

Pinus thunbergii(for Edwin!) 'Aocha Matsu'. Just a baby but clearly showing the varigation it's selected for. Giving it some shade as my non-shade specimen burned pretty bad.

'Shirome Janome'. The varigated pine Edwin referred to, unfortunately mine is very young and not too exciting yet.

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Will, very nice selection of thunbergii's you have.
    'Aocha Matsu'
    must be written as 'Aocha-matsu'

It's very important to plant your 'Shirome Janome' in a full sun space otherwise it will stay green instead of nice variegated.

Will, is the 'Red Janome' also variegated, can you show us a more clear photo?

• buddyrose
    13 years ago

arrrrgh.... I don't have my pine yet. my landscaper was too busy finishing up a job and he couldn't pick it up. so now I have to wait until Tuesday morning.

But get this, KEN, he's picking it up tomorrow, Sat., and leaving it either in his garage or back yard UNTIL Tuesday morning. It'll be dead! merde!@

So just to hold ME over till then, this is a bad shot I took of "her" at the nursery (she's beautiful so she's a She). There were so many pines around her that I couldn't get a full figure shot. It's the one dead center. xoxoxoxox

• kmanzfive laknee
    13 years ago

'Ogi Matsu' with cockscomb forming.

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

kmanzfive, it's 'Ogi-matsu' instead of 'Ogi Matsu'.
    This is the one at my Pinetum.
    Pinus thunbergii 'Ogi-matsu'
    {{gwi:756689}}

'Luteolineata'
    {{gwi:756690}}

• kmanzfive laknee
    13 years ago

Thank you Edwin. I will make corrections in m data base.

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

'Sayonara'
    {{gwi:756691}}

'Suiken'
    {{gwi:756692}}

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A closeup of my 'Red Janome' for Edwin. Shows mild varigation.

-Will

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Looks to me like the 'Shirome Janome'.
    I think it was a not clearly readable tag at a nursery from which only the 'Janome' was readable.
    The red part could be fantasy name from the Pinus densiflora 'Burke's Red Variegated'.
    There's nu forthur info to be found on the internet about the 'Red Janome'.
    From which nursery did you become this plant?

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Edwin, it's certainly possible it's a mis-name, but if so, not by me. For what it's worth, here's what the tag read from Stanley and Sons Nursery:

""Pinus thumbergii 'Red Janome' - New plant from Dave Dewire, a bonsai man for 30 years. Will have new descriptions next year for this cultivar. Plant from Japan as Bonsai. - Zone: 5""

Listed the same on the invoice.

Larry handles *thousands* of plants and while he's usually accurate, sometimes the naming can be a letter(or two) off.

I'll monitor it ovcer the years anyway.

-Will

• buddyrose
    13 years ago

since this is the official thunbergiana thread I'm posting my photo of my new pine here also.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH