Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Picea abies seltawarte

Posted by Curlilocks PA (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 16, 12 at 19:24

I am a new member of the forum and wonder if you can tell me anything about a tree I saw at a local nursery called a "picea abies seltawarte." The color of the needles are a pale yellowish green. The tree looks healthy; almost has two leader-one straight up,the other to the side.

I am wondering if the tree really is that color, or if it is sick or diseased. Also, I wonder if it would need shade or if it would like do better in bright sunlight. Staff at the nursery didn't know much about it. Any help you can give me would be appreciated. Has anyone heard of a picea abies seltawarte.
Thanks,
Curlilocks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Picea abies seltawarte

No bell is ringing for me, can you show us a pic of it?

o

Here is a quick snap of the plant. If this doesn't work, let me know and I will send others.
Thanks,
Curliocks

o

That's a Picea pungens 'Straw'.

o

I agree, looks like 'Straw' to me.

Dax

o

To answer your questions, that's it's normal color and it prefers full sun. You should remove that stake that's attached to it. It doesn't look like its helping much.

Here's a picture of mine from earlier this spring. They get big.

Photobucket

Matt

o

Matt, Your straw is stunning! You say it needs space and full sunlight?

Do you think my plant will work in the space in the pix below. Does the space seem big enough? It is at the very center of my property. I want to see it like a sculpture--in the northeastern PA winter--against the snow.

Thanks you all your help,

Curlilocks (Molly)

o

Picea pungens 'Straw'
Photobucket

Dax

o

Hi Molly, it will definitely start growing over onto the pavement part in about 4-5 years. I would find a wide open area for it to grow into.

o

Looks like you made an excellent choice, Curlilocks! Hope you will find suitable placement for it. From what I can see in the photo your gardens look great.

Dax, what do I see in the foreground of your photo of 'Straw?'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here