Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsugajunkie

The light was right...

Pinus paviflora 'Bergman'

Along with hosta montana 'Aureomarginata' and columbine.

{{gwi:636214}}

Abies lasiocarpa 'Glauca'

Pinus strobus 'Mini Twists'

Acer palm dissect 'Inaba Shidare'

Tulips (from a bit earlier)

Nothing to do with light, just random pix...

Picea glauca 'Pendula'

Note the nemesis at 2 o'clock...

Pinus peuce 'Mrs Cesarini'

Abies concolor 'Compacta' (US Version)

Tsuga canadensis 'Betty Rose'

Basic columbine

Acer palm 'Beni Hoshi'. As for the donkey, I'll just say I have a wife and will say no more...the donkey won't talk either.

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Oriole

Newly fledged cardinal chick (nested in a juniper by our kitchen window)

...with Dad...

tj

This post was edited by tsugajunkie on Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 16:11

Comments (26)

• zephyrgal
    10 years ago

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

• monkeytreeboy15
    10 years ago

Amazing shots!
    I always find it difficult to capture birds 'cause they are so flighty.. no pun intended. ;-)
    Thanks for sharing.

-Sam

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

How ironic is it that damn rabbit is in the pic?!

Great photos, looks even better than last year!

• ogcon
    10 years ago

Stunning photos of a well thought out garden.#3 wins first prize! Doug

• dansgrdn
    10 years ago

As always Tj your color and texture combos are superb! Photos 3 and 9 are especially WOW! pics for me. Thanks for sharing your garden with us.

Dan

• clement_2006
    10 years ago

Nice birds,
    but your Abies procera "Glauca" look Abies lasiocarpa to me.
    Clement

• harv2016
    10 years ago

Enjoyed the garden tour

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

Very nice!

Alex

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

tj,

Great diversified post.

I especially like the Abies concolor 'Compacta'.

The rabbits around my place are especially destructive. They killed a 10 year old Ginkgo b. 'W.B' last winter. I now resort to feeding them 177 cal. food.

Better off to deal with the donkey then pink flamingos. It took me 10 years to get the clothes line out of my conifer garden. Persistence pays off.

Thanks for the photos..

Dave

• Cher
    10 years ago

Fantastic gardens. Love the extra photos you through in. You got some exceptional shots.
    Cher

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i wish you were more often inspired to post pix

ken

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Some good plants there tj. Nice to see a palmatum 'Beni Hoshi' in your micro-climate. Good colors and birds, as well.

Dax

• sprucebud
    10 years ago

Very enjoyable. Thank you for the mix!
    Richard

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

The birds are interesting. Saw an unusual social group of 5-6 birds the other day, flitting along the stream-bank shrubs. Finally recognized them as Cedar waxwings -- seen them before, but never here.

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    10 years ago

tj Watch that rabbit....he looks thin!
    Real nice gardens and photos...Post just kept getting better and better!...well done!

• botann
    10 years ago

Thanks for the tour. As said above, your garden is getting better and better. Good design and choice of plants.
    That's a well trained rabbit that uses the sidewalk. How'd you do that?!
    I have a wife too. She put a couple of pink flamingos in the garden. I named them 'Tongue' and 'Cheek'. I tried for a long time to teach them to fly. One day they apparently flew away and we haven't seen em' since. You're right Dave, persistence pays off.
    Mike

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for looking and the kind comments everyone.

Dan- As you are one of the premiere urban landscapers on the forum, your comments are much appreciated. I find if I move stuff often enough I eventually hit on a nice combo.

Clement- You are correct about the lasiocarpa. Why I typed procera I'll attribute to a senior moment. I corrected it.

Dave, Whaas, alley-cat- Urban fur rats have no fear of people which makes them easy targets for my .177. The one in that pic kept coming toward me...but it still lives.

Then, just this week, as I was planting a hosta one came within a foot of me (nearly nose to as I was on the ground) as if to say, "What's for dinner?".

Ken- This late spring has me and the garden behind, but I think I'm caught up now. Hey, aren't YOU on a photo sabbatical?

Dax & Beng- I'm near enough to Lake Michigan that it acts as a sort of funnel for migrating birds so that even in this urban site I get a nice variety.

Mike- LOL (Tongue and Cheek). I'm fortunate that the donkey is obscure enough to disappear into the surroundings.

tj

• firefightergardener
    10 years ago

Wow, great lighting, no kidding. What time of day was it? What conditions? I always struggle to find the right light. These photos are exemplary!

Love the bird shots too, believe it or not that's the first oriole I have ever seen. I'm a baseball fan and I found that pretty amusing.

TJ, we have very very similar taste in plants. Hostas, maples, conifers, columbine... Love your combinations.

-Will

• dietzjm
    10 years ago

Beautiful pictures, Tom. Thanks for sharing them. You have an awesome garden!

Matt

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Will and Matt.

Will- the pix were taken in the evening. A neighbor to the WSW of me has some huge Norway Spruces and the evening sun peeks through highlighting different subjects.

Matt- If you're ever in Milwaukee give me a shout. A tour wont take long, maybe 20 minutes, just ask whaas.

tj

• nwconifergarden
    10 years ago

Very cool!

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Very pics, Tommy!
    Indeed, the light was right!
    I like your Pinus peuce 'Mrs. Cesarini' very much.
    How old is it?

The birds, looks nice too, I didn't know before how a youngster of the red cardinal looks like...

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

20min, yeah right! Definitely worth the tour, the mix and use of space is incredible.

• dietzjm
    10 years ago

I will definitely take you up on that offer, Tom. Thanks!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Edwin, whaas & nwconifer.

Edwin- The 'Mrs Cesarini' came from Stanley in the fall of '07 as a small one gallon. It was labeled as 'Miss Cesarini', but I'm sure she's married. ;-)

Matt- You're on, and anyone else on the forum is welcome for that matter.

• Fiddlegal08
    10 years ago

Sorry about that wascally wabbit! Your garden and the bird pix are wonderful! Just so you all know it isn't a girl-thing... my husband is the one that bought our pink flamingo! But then, he isn't much of a gardener. I think our spouses do that as a misguided gesture of support!

Ellen