Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can this dwarf alberta spruce be saved?

Posted by dedtired Eastern USA (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 15, 12 at 20:28

Hi. I also posted this on Trees, so please forgive the double post. I've had this tree in a pot for about 2.5 years. I planned to plant it in the ground but discovered a birds nest, so I waited until they left the nest. In the meantime, the tree looked lie it was dying. I figured it was a goner and was ready to get rid of it. Here's how it looks, although not sideways (continued below):

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can this dwarf alberta spruce be saved?

However, upon closer inspection, I found these green tips on the branches. So, if I plant it in the ground, is there a reasonably good chance it will survive? Any thoughts?

o

IMO, DAS are junk. They need way to much babying to not get dried out in a midwestern winter.

I've removed 3 of them in the last 10 years and another one will come out yet this year.

o

I'm outside of Philadelphia. Our winters range from none (this year) to brutal (last year). Do you think it's not worth digging a hole and planting this?

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 15, 12 at 21:36

Yes, it will live....if you water it after you put it in the ground. I believe more Dwarf Alberta Spruces are killed in pots than any other tree. It's been barely living a life on the way too dry side. Once in the ground it will look bad for a long time, we're talking years, before it will fill in.... given proper placement and care.
I'd throw it away and not look back.
Mike

o

get rid of it..

its not a question of whether it will live.. or recover

its a question of how long it is going to be.. before it looks good again.. and that could be 3 to 5 years.. for a TREE that you can replace for under 10 bucks ...

and do mind.. ITS A TREE.. otherwise known as a conifer.. and its root system.. should be as big.. if not double.. the size of what you see above..

and when you wrap your head around that.. and look at the pot its in.. you should be able to fully understand.. what its root problem is [pun intended] ....

but for bonsai ... trees do not have a long life potential in pots...

divest for sure ..

ken

o
i would bet a shiny nickle..

while ruminating on this ...

i would bet a shiny nickel .. that there is no media in that pot ... its all roots

and therefore.. there is nothing to hold water for the tree ...

ken

o

I knew the tree could not survive in a pot for long. It was about half this size when I got it. My plan was to move it when it outgrew the pot, but the birds nest foiled that plan. It had no brown at all when I found the nest. At first I thought it was the nest that was killing the tree.

I agree that it's not worth saving. That's why I do not keep indoor plants. They always look half dead (at least many do), and I have a hard time chucking them. I try to nurse them back to health and they look like hell in the process.

o

stick it in the woods (ok it needs sun) and give it the chance it never had... despite its abuse, it's been holding on to a little thing called... life. i disagree that "DAB"s are 'junk' and that you can get a 3 footer (retail) for 'under 10 bucks'.

o

Oh too late. I cut it down and threw it in the compost heap. The compost pile is in the woods, so it did end up there. I still have to pry the stump out of the pot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here