Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hobbiton conifers of the week, June 18th

Posted by firefightergardener 7/8 (fletchonthemove@hotmail.com) on
Thu, Jun 21, 12 at 20:42

So I continue to be a little behind but I have more photos of some conifers I'm growing that I can share.

Tsuga canadensis 'Ashfield Weeper' - A strongly weeping, beautiful, fast growing hemlock.
Photobucket

Cedrus libani var. atlantica 'Uwe' - oooh vey, a very cool little plant. Hard to grow sometimes but my two specimens are alive still three years in.
Photobucket

Picea pungens 'Blue Fingers' - New to me, source: Conifer Kingdom.
Photobucket

Pinus mugo(x densiflora I believe) 'Edsal Wood' - Distinct and slow growing.
Photobucket

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Seattle Mountain' - My first inexplicably died in a few months for no apparent reason - boy is it a lovely color.
Photobucket

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'El Dorado' - A new golden offering from Conifer Kingdom - a shockingly bright cultivar, even with our cool, cloudy Springs it is showing great potential.
Photobucket

Picea pungens 'Blaukissen' - Superb color and shape, compares favorably to 'Blue Pearl' I think I prefer this plant.
Photobucket

Tsuga canadensis 'Everitt's Golden' - A marvelous gold even with part shade.
Photobucket

Abies koreana 'Brevifolia' - I love the silvery, lush foliage of the korean fir. This one looks somewhat upright/formal.
Photobucket

Acer palmatum 'Jewels' - A Stanley and Sons gem - this little lady grows an inch or two a year, very very compact. Larry said this tree was in the neighborhood of 10-12 years old(and it's under 40 centimeters/15 inches).
Photobucket

A landscape shot, the corner of the driveway. The maples provide amazing color 9 months of the year.
Photobucket

-Will

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hobbiton conifers of the week, June 18th

• Posted by dcsteg 5b Shawnee, KS. (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 21, 12 at 22:20

Who's Hobbiton?

Dave

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 21, 12 at 22:46

That Picea pungens 'Blaukissen' sure is a nice specimen. Where did you find that one?

Photobucket

o

That's the one, Will, a tribute to my favorite literature. Hobbiton is the neighborhood of Bilbo and Frodo Baggins of J.R.R. Tolkien/Lord of the Rings Lore. It's a fantasy land where things are small and people love plants of all types. Both seem very appropriate especially considering I have plants named 'Hobbit', 'Elf', 'Pixie', 'Gnome' and plenty of dwarves amongst my denizens.

Picea pungens 'Blaukissen' was a Coenosium Gardens purchase about 3 years ago. I don't know if he stocks it still or not.

Finally, a correction, as the duplicate image is:

Pinus mugo(x densiflora I believe) 'Edsal Wood' - Distinct and slow growing.
Photobucket

-Will

o

Beautiful plants, as always Will. I could look at pictures of your conifers forever.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here