Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pls help with Evergreen selection

Posted by markjg 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 21:00

Hi everyone! Im looking forward to adding a little more privacy to my backyard. Unfortunately it backs to the parking lot. Besides that it's a pretty sweet end unit townhouse outside of Annapolis MD ;)

I am looking into a evergreen to place in this location, it measures 8'L x 6'W. I park my car right in the spot right in front of this location and that's my walkway I use everyday. Something non prickly would be good ;)
There is a short evergreen bush that I can trim back a couple feet when the time came which would give me more room on the length of my location. I am looking to add privacy and more green foliage during the winter months. I want something that will grow 10' or more above my fence. There are many large trees in my neighbors backyards so something that is as tall as my townhouse would be fine. I think that's like 30' or so? I want something that will stand out. We have lots of cool trees in our small townhouse community. I have two large Emerald Arborvitaes that are getting close to 20' tall but they are still narrow at about 3 or 4 feet. As a reference, the fence sections in the pics are 8' wide and about 6' at its highest spot.
I was thinking a Thuja Arborvitae which I could keep trimmed, right?, American Arborvitae, two or maybe even three Emerald Arboritae. I want something that will be as wide as that fence sections.
Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pls help with Evergreen selection

back of the house

o

two Emerald Arboviteas center and left

I have a couple crapes growing in my yard, So as of now it is evergreen outside of fence (center of pic) crape myrtle in the corner, new location outside of fence will be a evergreen, Red Rocket Crape (not shown) inside my yard and then my neighbor has a white crape growing outside of the fence. In that order along my fence line. That other crape is still in a planter.

I hope that makes sense...

o

one more for you, through a screen window... second level

o

Hetz Wintergreen/Wintergreen arborvitae can reach 30 feet but will take 25 years. It's 6' wide when that tall and won't become much wider as it continues to grow. It typically grows 14" per year.

Musser Forest sells seedlings in the fine print so don't buy from them should you choose Hetz Wintergreen.

Best of regards,

Dax

o

Dax, I don't know how it would do in zone 7 since it's much milder than where you live, but Tom Cox's book in zone 8 lists it as 23ft by 9ft in 10 years, the actual measurement. Somewhat smaller in MD I would think, but that's still big and fast.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here