Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conrad13743

Ginkgo help please

outback63 Dennison
10 years ago

Can anyone give me a positive identification from these two photos?

Dave

{{gwi:761597}}

Comments (11)

• salicaceae
    10 years ago

Yep, Ginkgo biloba.

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yep, for sure.

I was really wanting to know the cultivar name.

I am 2/3rds of the way there in knowing its full name.

Dave

• barbaraincalif
    10 years ago

Did you happen to look at the leaf pictures in Sara's Winter 2013 Conifer Quarterly magazine Ginkgo article to compare with your plant? It's more difficult than one would think because almost every leaf on your Ginkgo looks different! If you can find a close match then do an image search of that cultivar to see if the growth habit of your plant is similar.

If I had to make a guess by researching your Ginkgo that way it would be 'Green Pagoda'

What does the label say?

Barbara

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes I did read the interesting article. In fact my name was mentioned. Sara does a good job for the CQ.

Aside from that it came from Dennis Dodge under the name 'Munchkin'. I am not convinced. Something doesn't add up. Some leaves are split some not. Some leaves are variegated some not.. It also has a bushy leggy growth habit. Nothing uniform about it in growth with some limbs displaying extended growth while others remain short with little growth. No there are not two ginkgo's growing here. The under stock was cut off long ago.

Dave

• baxswoh
    10 years ago

Dave: A most interesting ginkgo. Do you notice any correlation between the length and growth rate of the differing limbs and the cut foliage?

• barbaraincalif
    10 years ago

Sara mentioned that variability within individual stock plants translates into variability within a single named cultivar. In her article, this variability was specific to plagiotropic growth, but I wonder if it can be extrapolated to include foliage differences too?

I'm just trying to have a conversation that we can learn from Dave.

Here is a photo of a Ginkgo biloba purchased as 'Munchkin' :

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I understand Barbara. Thanks for you input.

I am fairly sure the leaf structure in yours is not the same as mine.

I wonder if a photo of the main trunk wood would help?

I may have to give the Tree Forum a go with this one.

Dave

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Munchkin/Chris's Dwarf has tiny leaves, for the most part. I see some in there but a lot of larger leaves as well. Not sure, but my fuzzy memory recalls that this can happen with this cultivar.

tj

• jinxz5
    10 years ago

Dave, I can't imagine that is munchkin. I have one at least 8 feet tall and all the leaves are small. I do not have a decent guess. You should ask Dennis. At least he knows what he has as possible choices. Jay

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jay...good idea.

I guess I'll have to dial him in.

Thanks,

Dave

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Dave,

I photographed several cultivars yesterday. I don't know one from the other... 'Munchkin' is tiny leaves the size of a quarter or nickel, though. Link below.

Dax

Here is a link that might be useful: Iowa Garden Rendevous 2013