Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
T. can. 'Moon Frost' and 'Forest Fountain?' Pics? Opinions?

Posted by greenhaven N Illinois 4b-5a (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 21:36

Ogled these at a nursery the other day, and wanted some input before I thought about bringing them home.

How much sun can the 'Moon Frost' tolerate? I read it grows faster with age, what am I looking at for ten year growth?

How about 'Forest Fountain?'

I would love pics of anyone has them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: T. can. 'Moon Frost' and 'Forest Fountain?' Pics? Opinions?

I have a 'Moonfrost', and I am very satisfied with it. It only grows 5 cm or less per year, and it has fantastic coloration. It is planted largely in shade, which helps prevent any browning/burning on this beautiful white variegation.

The aspect I really love about this particular cultivar is the hints of pink that the variegation acquires with the onset of cold temperatures. The pictures of my plant below show what I'm talking about quite well.
Tsuga canadensis 'Moonfrost'

I don't know anything about 'Forest Fountain'... I know of a cultivar named 'Emerald Fountain' and it has a mounding, semi-weeping habit.

-Sam

o

That is a gorgeous pink, Sam, thanks for sharing! I think that one is coming home with me, I have some shady spots to fill and brighten.

o

sam.. why all the missing needles at the branch tips???

ken

o

Mine tolerates *shade* well, not sure about sun. My specimen is literally covered by smaller Japanese maples. *Some* defoliation is present, not much though and the white color is strong.
Photobucket

I would say it would be fine for 3/4's day sun in the Pacific Northwest, 1/4 day sun MAX in the midwest, but this is just a guess.

-Will

o

Duly noted. I can give it about as much shade as it wants, right now! As a mater of fact, I might get two...I am needing to get started on the space beneath my species juniper.

Will, your specimen is gorgeous! Definitely going to pick this one up.

o

The missing needles are due to the fact that this plant was located in full sun early in the growing season. That caused the variegation to burn before it was moved to its new home... I don't expect it to happen this year, but we'll see.

-Sam

o

Show us a picture of your plant once you get it home so we can admire it, please!

Here's a picture of mine from just a couple days ago.

-Sam

o

VERY glad I picked this gal up, I am very pleased with her! I am still waiting to find the perfect dark-leaved partner for her, but in the meantime have chosen some perennials to keep her company. There is new, larger-leaved, DARK purple weigela out that I am consider, as the dark+large would look amazing, but I will think about it some more.

Tsuga candensis 'Moon Frost'

Photobucket

Photobucket

With Heuchera 'Citronelle', Hosta 'Hudson Bay' and Hosta Potomac Pride'

Photobucket

o

Looks great! Thanks for sharing. I'm sure it will do well there.

-Sam

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here