Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conrad13743

Metasequoia glyp. 'Miss Grace'.

This was a substantial tree last year.

Last winters cold spell left little to work with. The top 18 inches of the main leader died along with all the major limbs back to about 12 inches of the trunk. A thought came to me to cloud prune. I had to salvage something of this beautiful tree.

I kind of like it and might keep it this way unless it becomes to much of a project.

Dave

This post was edited by Davesconifers on Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 12:10

Comments (7)

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Looks like a nice salvage job to me.
    Looks like you're about to join The Weirder the Better Club.
    Hey Ken, we have a new member!
    Mike

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

oooo-wheee ...welcome

i never heard the term cloud prune ... perfectly apt ...

good luck with the plant... when it returns to vigor.. i have a feeling it wont last long ... unless you really enjoyed the decorative pruning ...

ken

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

That was a nice job, Dave. You'll have to do follow-up posts so we can see how it responds.

tj

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Would be interesting to see if it backbuds or not. If it doesn't it will look pretty sweet.

Love to see a pic in fall.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

There is cloud pruning and then there is krumholz pruning. Krumholz pruning is done to show the direction of a strong prevailing wind, like you would see on a windswept ridge in sub-alpine country. That's my favorite type of landscape.
    Mike

• Fayette1800
    9 years ago

I have a Miss Grace Dawn Redwood in a container. It's about 5 ft high and struggling. We brought it up to our house in Drake(7000ft) from Denver and the drive may have stressed it out. I have given it various high end fertilizers and obviously watered it but it is getting a little brittle on top and losing it's needles. We were told that we could keep it in the container but now I wonder it that is the problem. Any thoughts? Thanks Jay

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I would yank it from the pot to look for root issues. If OK then plant it in the ground provided it is not to late in the season in your area. The 7000 ft. plus you don't mention your zone is a red flag for correct answer. You need to add that to your page AKA My Page.

Do not add fertilizer or soil amendments when you transplant.

Dave