Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glaciers_end

It's going to be huge - ACS Western Region Conference

Note the dates and start getting excited.

SEPTEMBER 13-15th, 2013

The American Conifer Society Western Region is happy to announce its upcoming annual meeting. This year we're meeting in Washington's capital, Olympia. Our focus is a showcase of a handful of the most amazing conifer collections one will find anywhere.

Yours truly is spearheading the organizing committee and my goal is to make this event incredibly fun and amazingly affordable. Although the final registration cost is not yet finalized, I'm looking to bring it in at around the $150 mark. That's going to get you meals, bus transportation on the epic first day, 2 1/2 days of hanging with some of the coolest coneheads on the west coast and even some snacks and conifer-based libations along the way.

Day 0
Let's meet and greet and set the plan in action. Light snacks, beverages and a first viewing of the conifers up for auction highlight the first night.

Day 1
A day on Washington's Kitsap Peninsula. We're touring the gardens of our own Firefighter-Gardener, Will. In addition, MonkeyTreeBoy, Sam will showcase the first of hopefully many conifer gardens he'll create. His initial effort is showcased at Albers Vista Garden. Our lunch stop on day one is at Dragonfly Farms. Dragonfly's owner, Heidi is partnering with a locovore who will be providing our lunch and with Dave Dewire, legendary bonsai and Niwaki expert who will gift us with a seminar showcasing his unique talent.

After traveling we'll return to our conference site for a banquet, and a silent and verbal auction of conifers that you're unlikely to see for sale anywhere ever. Whew!

Day 2
A leisurely start brings you to my place, Glacier's End Arboretum, where you be welcomed with a light tasty meal and beverages to sip as you tour the grounds and wonder how the heck I've (hopefully tastefully) packed 700+ conifers into such a modest space.

Are we saving the best for last? Maybe. Sunday afternoon will be spent at Bob Fincham's Coenosium Gardens. View first-hand, Bob's work with developing new exciting cultivars for small gardens. Recent history has also proven that Bob withholds some prime specimens for sale at ACS conferences. What does he have up his sleeves this time?

Let's bump this thread around for a while. If you're one of the destinations, go ahead and show off a few teaser pics. If you're excited about taking part, let us know. Links for registration and more information will be soon to follow.

woohoo!
~Dave

Comments (26)

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a couple of teaser pics for the morning of day 2 -- a few overviews of Glacier's End. I'll be the first to admit that I'm an insatiable collector but somewhere along the way I've developed a bit of an artistic flair. I really enjoy showing the place off. Come on over and enjoy it!

This post was edited by Glaciers-End on Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 22:47

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    10 years ago

That is so cool Dave, Please take plenty of photos to document what sounds like an awesome occasion....... '5 star locations'....and the auctions sound mysteriously cool as well. You guys are lucky!!!
    `Al

• gardener365
    10 years ago

What a great occasion to be looking forward to.

Dax

• ogcon
    10 years ago

Sounds great Dave.Though I only live down the I-5 a couple of hundred miles it'll be my first time to see yours
    and others gardens.If by chance folks may be flying in and
    wish to spend some time in PNW beyond the occasion
    would you consider pointing out some additional destinations and conifer related sight-seeing.Thanks,Doug

• PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Absolutely Doug! (BTW it's always good to hear from the NW Regional Director, LOL)

Within a couple hours drive in opposite directions from Olympia are 2 National Parks, Mt Rainier and Olympic, each with a staggering and diverse array of conifers. We don't call the place the Evergreen State for nothing.

If any out-of-state attendees want help planning an add-on adventure, simply private-message me and I'll help put something together for you.

~Dave

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Can't wait to see all the gardens, Dave! Thank you for arranging this. Jan and I are going to fly into Portland and see the new plantings at the Oregon Garden first, then drive up to Olympia. Looking forward to it.

Anyone from other parts of the country who has not been to the PNW (or even if you have!) - consider joining us. And if you're not an ACS member, well, we have ways of taking care of that!

Sara

• bobfincham
    10 years ago

A little over an hour north of Olympia is the South Seattle Community College and its small arboretum with the half acre+ rock garden we helped to create with over 300 dwarf and compact conifers. Many are quite impressive since the garden has been planted for some time now.

Bob

• ogcon
    10 years ago

Thanks for including that info Bob.We were trying hard to schedule SSCC on the tour as its more than worthy of a visit.I might add that speakers,presentations and the like
    were discussed in the planning process but we thought attendees might have more fun socializing and talking about their own interests with fellow coneheads.Doug

• Cher
    10 years ago

Dave your gardens are beautiful. You've done excellent with your choice of colors and textures and balance. I'm envious of those able to see it in person.

Bob that is a gorgeous shot. Truly inspirational.
    Cher

• firefightergardener
    10 years ago

I'll proudly be welcoming ACS members and conifer nuts to my little arboretum as well. It's an honor, especially for someone so new to the hobby and to host with gardens like Coenosium, Albers Vista and Glacier's End should give the people a LOT to look at.

I'm also thrilled to see Dragonfly Farms included as well as this is probably the largest single inventoried nursery I have ever visited, particularly in conifers with over 1,000 cultivars available for sale. I have been personally helping Heidi make some selections and she's ran wild on her own as well - there's just of ton of plants to see. Combined with Bob's newest and best dwarf/miniature offerings at Coenosium, this should be a huge bounty to whomever brings their extra conifer allowances.

Here's a few teaser shots of my gardens, 'Hobbiton', in which I proudly grow 1,720 different cultivars(and counting).

A spot to take a rest. There's no more comfortable hammock on earth. No really, it's epic comfortable!

Another spot to rest, even if it's less than comfortable!

Thanks a ton for setting this all up Dave, it's a LOT of work.

See you soon,

-Will

• PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm bumping this one back to page one and am making the announcement that the moment you've eagerly awaited has finally arrived.

Here's a link to the brochure and registration form. I know many of you have been climbing the walls, anxious to register for what is going to be a memorable event.

~Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: ACS (WR) Conference Brochure

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

I'm sending mine in! Already got the hotel taken care of.

Sara

• ogcon
    10 years ago

Dave,did I hear something about a specially concocted brew made especially for this inauspicious
    occasion or was that just another one of my beer dreams?Doug

• PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Doug,

Drool isn't good for the keyboard. Ya just gotta wait 'til September. LOL

• PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mmm. Conifer-based libations.

This post was edited by Glaciers-End on Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 23:24

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

I'm pining to know what it is....

• arceesmith
    10 years ago

Ooooo... Spruce beer?

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Isn't gin a conifer libation?

• PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pinus peuce has also been implicated as a suspect.

• ogcon
    10 years ago

Hummm,perhaps a Macedonian spirit of some sort?The plot thickens.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

not as HUGE as if i were there ...

but i am sure you guys can make it huge enough.. w/o me ,....

ken

ps: my garden story .. for what its worth.. lol .. the eastern Europeans made their clear white lightening drink from their potatoes... vodka and all ... and those darn british and their love of the juniper [green man and all that celtic lore] ... threw in some berries and made it gin ... all made up.. i am sure ...lol.. [and the Irish/Scots skipped the potato and aged it in oak.. and came up with the brown version of lightening ... and the Italians.. skip it all and wallowed around in rotting grapes ... see.. who expected these brilliant insights... lol ...]

pps: and i will yell.. i said ... FOR WHAT ITS WORTH ... lol .. yeah ... i know.. not much ...

Here is a link that might be useful: link -- useless facts for the day ....

• PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi all, we just approved yet another reason to start attending these yearly conferences.

THE ACS(WR) CONIFER OF THE YEAR!

Each year our region will select a cool, relatively new, and still hard to find cultivar and offer it to the conference attendees for a nominal price.

This year's selection is Picea pungen 'Ruby Teardrops.' We picked up a good-sized block of 2nd-year grafts and will be offering them to conference attendees for the crazy low price of $20.00. In addition we scored a more mature 3# specimen that we'll be putting up for auction.

If you haven't sent your registration in yet, what are you waiting for?

~Dave
    Glacier's End Arboretum
    Organizing Committee for this year's ACS(WR) Conference

• PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Time to bump this up again.

I'm excited to say that we've reached our initial registration goal of 50 people. The excitement for this event is palpable. I've got a feeling we're going to carry this experience forward for a long time. If for some reason you haven't done do yet, we're holding registration open until September 6th. See below to the link on the new ACS website.

Need some more incentive? A little bird told me that a 3-gallon specimen of this tree may possibly get featured in the verbal auction. (Thanks for the pic, Edwin).

Two weeks from tomorrow, we get this party started!
    ~Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: link to conference info and registration

• ogcon
    10 years ago

Filips golden teardrops on American soil?You didn't get into that special brew did you Dave?D.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Doug, it's 'Filip's Golden Tears' :0)

This one fits in everyone's garden, if grafted on the right DR understock...

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Can't wait!

We've got quite a group coming from California - I think that there are 12 of us.

Sara