Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salicaceae

Everglades conifers

salicaceae
10 years ago

Here are some photos i took in the Everglades this past weekend. There were places that reminded me of northern MN or Ontario - strange.

https://picasaweb.google.com/larixmtn/SouthFloridaJune2013?authkey=Gv1sRgCN6Hzoaprbe6wgE

Comments (14)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

hey willow...

your link failed...

ken

• salicaceae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm. i will fix it. Thanks.

10 years ago

hey 'base of aspirin .. i am still waiting...

and out of willow puns...

maybe i should be weeping.. carp.. now i am out.. lol

ken

• barbaraincalif
    10 years ago

Link works just fine...it doesn't need an asprin after all!

Here is a link that might be useful: South Florida June 2013

• salicaceae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Barbara!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Very nice trees, but one powerful ugly foot.

Thanks.

tj

10 years ago

i liked the sign annoucing the forest.. Elevation.. FOUR FEET .. lol ...

now would that be 'four powerful ugly feet'???

thx for the pix....

ken

ps: i switched form google to yahoo.. and apparently one or both dont mesh with the other ... go figure...

• noki
    10 years ago

Cool. Maybe what it might have looked like 150 million years ago.

Why the dwarf cypress? That swamp is just so inhospitable that only the Taxodium can survive there? But they can just barely stay alive, sort of a natural bonsai effect like a conifer on the rocks in an arid area?

This post was edited by noki on Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 1:19

• salicaceae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey, my foot wasn't supposed to be there!

The cypress are dwarf due to a combination of limestone being right at the surface and the high water tables. You see the same thing in northern bogs with dwarf black spruce and tamarack when the water table is high. I suppose hurricanes help keep them short statured too.

• barbaraincalif
    10 years ago

Thanks for the tour! What is the long needled pine and are there alligators in that water?!!

Barbara

10 years ago

Maybe what it might have looked like 150 million years ago.

==>>> what ???? his foot???

lol

ken

ps: refresh my memory .. or teach me... is the water salt water or fresh .... and how do they cope if a hurricane brings in all salty??? .. i do seem to recall.. that the glades are technically a river ... as in .. ever moving ... teach me man.. i gotta know ...

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Cool. Taxodium ascendens is a neat-o tree. Looks like good fishing in the lake-type areas for catfish??? I agree though with Barbara, and think about alligators and crazy-crazy snakes! I'd feel much more comfortable from a dock... way off the ground!

Cheers,

Dax

• salicaceae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There are certainly alligators and crocodiles (in the brackish water) and also moccasins etc., but I don't worry about them. In fact, my family and I were wading in that lake. It was perfectly clear and was a freshwater lake. With the slash pine forest around, it reminded me of a boreal scene (with red pines of course).

Barbara - The pines are south Florida slash pine, Pinus elliottii var. densa. Some consider them a separate species, closer to Pinus caribaea than typical slash pine.

• wisconsitom
    10 years ago

I really love those pine forests down in that area. And like you say Sal, and like we've discussed here before, if you survey the scene without paying attention to the ground layer of saw palmetto, etc. it does indeed look like certain areas of the northern forest. That's one of the first things I noticed when I first went down there. Thanks for the pics.

+oM