Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

Giant Sequoia (Sequoiadendron) in Mid Atlantic

hairmetal4ever
10 years ago

I've seen a few Sequoiadendron here in the East but only in arboretums...

I've heard 'Hazel Smith' does OK in our humidity. Can anyone give me a real-life example of success in the East with a Giant Sequoia?

Comments (7)

• taxo_man
    10 years ago

Here is a list some growing in Connecticut. You can find pictures if you go to the website. Link below.

The first set of numbers (ex) 233 is the total amount of points, 144 is the circumference in inches, 70 is the height in feet, and 35 is the average spread in feet.

List of Sequoiadendron giganteum (Giant Sequoia)

Town Points Circ.(in) Height(ft) Spread(ft)
    Glastonbury 223 144 70 35
    East Haven 216 143 65 32
    New London 147 94 47 24
    Greenwich 142 88 48 24.3
    East Haven 131 77 48 24
    Glastonbury 80 52 22 24
    Waterbury 73 36 33 14

Here is a link that might be useful: Connecticut Notable Trees

• pineresin
    10 years ago

It won't do well in the mid Atlantic, it can't cope with 4,000 metres of salt water.

Resin

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

This has come up before, several times, but, at least it gave Resin another opportunity to reuse his favorite (only?) joke about North American placenames. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Guess what? Ely is not literally Ely. I mean, sure there are some out in the sea, but that's true anywhere around the coast of the British Isles. The eels aren't ordering drinks at the local pubs and serving as tourist guides. Yet.

They grow best in zn 6 or 5b areas where nights are cooler. Even one at Planting FIelds Arboretum, on maritime influenced Long Island, looked like complete cr-p after the past 3 hot summers. I have a picture but I don't have time to post it. The one at Longwood looks ok but heck, it's Longwood, maybe they spray the thing each year with $2500 of double distilled neem oil or something similarly outlandish to prevent disease. They have an endowment of more than a half billion dollars so they can afford to keep their trees looking perfect. There are a couple others in Philly area that look OK, that's about the southern limit AFAIK. I think the best looking ones on the east coast are probably in upstate NY, New England, etc. Has to be a place w/summer nights Fortunately there's probably a fairly consistent border with the region in which the hardiest clones of Sequoia semprevirens can be grown, with some gaps of course. South of Philly, east of perhaps Harper's Ferry, WV (the "front range" of VA&MD), or along the coast up to Long Island, try S.s., otherwise S.g. NB the existing so-called hardier S.s. like 'Chapel Hill', which withstood -10F in NC, are not known to be selected from the coldest valleys where it grows. The current zn 10/9 parts of its range might have been zn 8/7 during the ice age. My research indicates 'Swarthmore Hardy' is probably 'Chapel Hill'.

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 20:30

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

"I've heard 'Hazel Smith' does OK in our humidity. "

I don't know why that would be...was that posted here by someone? If someone wants to post a picture of a healthy looking S.g., in the Southeastern Piedmont, south of Philly and east of the mountains, be my guest. I'd love to be corrected.

• pineresin
    10 years ago

"Guess what? Ely is not literally Ely. I mean, sure there are some out in the sea, but that's true anywhere around the coast of the British Isles. The eels aren't ordering drinks at the local pubs and serving as tourist guides"

Errm . . . take a look ;-)

Resin

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

I saw Jellied Eels for sale in Brighton, Resin!
    YOUR WHOLE COUNTRY IS EEEEEEEELY! YUCK!

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

That's a pretty funny take on public art. Good for them. I'd want to live that name down, too.