Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vapa11

Help! Is this normal for a Blue Spruce?

vapa11
10 years ago

WARNING!!! DO NOT DO BUSINESS with Oregon Grown Nurseries LLC

This seller offered me a full refund for the poor examples of trees shown below, but upon return of the plants, the seller stopped responding to communications, kept the plants AND kept my money!!!

Seller info:

Oregon Grown Nursuries LLC
www.Japanesemaplesandevergreens.com
Email: oregrongrownnurseries@yahoo.com
Located in Vancouver, WA

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Original Post:

I just bought the two Fat Albert blue spruce trees pictured below over the internet and was surprised at how they looked when they arrived. One tree looks like it has a severe case of scoliosis and the other, while to me seems better, is still not as straight or evenly proportioned as I would have expected (the "branch" at the top is larger and heavier than the more upright/staked part of the tree). These are obviously young, grafted trees, but I figured they would have been a little more, I'll say, blue spruce-like in appearance.

Are my expectations unreasonable or is there something wrong with them? Can/should I do anything to help facilitate straight and healthy growth other than plant them in a bigger pot, water them, and make sure they get the right amount of sun (prune, stake, etc.)? Should I give up on these and buy a better example from another nursery?

For what it's worth, I looked, but could not find an example of what a blue spruce should look like until 3 or 4 years old. I can only assume these are much younger.

Thanks in advance for helping someone who hasn't planted or grown anything in over 20 years.

This post was edited by vapa11 on Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 20:37

Comments (11)

• vapa11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

2nd Angle

• vapa11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

2nd Tree

• vapa11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

2nd tree, angle 2

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    10 years ago

A Fat Albert spruce that size doesn't need to have a straight trunk. It will quickly out grow it's current form once it establishes and starts growing strongly. Who cares that the first 12" are crooked on a 10' tree?

A bigger concern...why are you buying one of the most common Blue Spruce cultivars through mail order? It should be available everywhere, from Costco & Home Depot, to the best local garden centers.

• clement_2006
    10 years ago

It's a very poor plant, I hope you pay a very little price for that.
    Clement

• ricksample
    10 years ago

You probably could have got a 1 gallon fat albert at Home Depot for $15. Smivies is correct... it may grow out of it in 10-15 years. You won't see the trunk on it when it's 10' tall x 5' wide. However, I've tossed things away that were shipped to me like that. I couldn't stand to look at them for the next 5+ years until they covered the bad aftercare of the graft. Who sold you that poor plant? Complain to the seller that they should not sell material like that and request a refund.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

You bought some rubbish instead of plants!
    A good nurseryman would have repotted them in time so the result was a full sized plant without a bald underpart...

• vapa11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I have asked the seller for a refund, but have not gotten a response yet. I will give the nursery the benefit of the doubt for now, but if this is not resolved in a fair and timely manner (i.e. refund), I will certainly share the name of the nursery so others don't have to experience the same problem.

• vapa11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

WARNING: DISHONEST SELLER

See update to initial post.

• ricksample
    10 years ago

What a dumb company... I've said it before and I'll say it again... companies that request bad looking plants like are horrible companies. They spend so much of there time responding of complaints and thinking of new business names (because they keep getting bad reputations and have to contently change there name)... it would be much easier to produce a great product that make customers want to come back. Instead they produce very lousy products... get a ton of complains... tell people to send the plants back for a refund... then they do it all over again under a different company name.

A lot of these generic companies request the plant back because they are banking on the fact that you won't since you have to pay additional for shipping. As soon as they tell you to ship the plant back... most will say well it's not really worth the added shipping cost. However, you called there bluff.... yet they took the cowards way out of not responding and probably even blocked your e-mail lol.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

BTW ...

blue spruce is a common term .... for a seed grown plant...

not all seed grown blue spruce are blue ... based on the genetics of the seed strain ...

and not all blues are equal ... some pop your eyes out.. some dull steel blue ....

that is one reason yours were cheap ...

the proper name is Picea pungens .... and from there you add names in quotes ...

and if you want a really blue one ..... you find one of the EXTRAordinary NAMED plants ... and pay a lot more than you paid for yours ...

some of the cultivars that are extra ordinary are Hoppsi.. thomsen. otto von bismarck .... etc... etc. ...

and then you can find ones that have the typical annual growth rate.. all the way down to the minis & dwarfs .... along the lines of St Mary ...

sooooo... if you really want a spectacular BLUE Picea pungens.. go for it ...

we had a dozen or so posts.. about PREFERRED sellers .... and this place wasnt one of them .... but i dont recall you asking first ....

but if you are interested in investing in some prime stock.. we can refer you to any
    ....number of sellers.. such as conifer kingdom.... coenoseum ... girards.. etc ...

got a pic for you below .. check out a normal Picea pungens 'Hoopsi'

i am a collector.. and have little use on more than one of anything... but i have two of these... and three other look alikes ... sublime ..

ken

ps: your stock plants could be used as grafting understock ....

{{gwi:205545}}