Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
roadside pungens

Posted by sluice (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 23:31

Saw this blue spruce today in an open field. Not sure what to think of it, but will probably graft it next winter to see how it does under cultivation.

Picea pungens
 photo P6228927.jpg

Picea pungens, branch detail
 photo P6228930.jpg

Picea pungens
 photo P6228931.jpg

Google map view
 photo 04ffb9cc-3d4b-437f-adcd-478d4d3e551b.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: roadside pungens

Nice find Nate!
I guess it will grow much nicer in better circumstances.
It does have some pretty nice grafting material on it.

o

I really like it.
Richard

o

Don't know when I've seen a picea so upright growing in the top third branches and then transitioning to a graceful
weeper as it matures.I would guess it has special potential
and should show its traits early as a fairly vigorous grower.Good luck!D.

o

You outta see what else he found Doug. It's a snow shoe hike in 4'+ deep snow, maybe ski's involved and miles to get to it during grafting time. I barely recall the whole story. I know its a b*** to get to.

Picea pungens 'Vicksburg'
picea pungens vicksburg photo: Picea pungens 'Vicksburg'  Nate Cassell 0188c799.jpg

Dax

o

Thanks for that Dax,now were talking skinny trees which I dearly love.I assume you've got a couple dozen grafts growing as we post?D.

o

It was a tough one. I had one take that later died. I know Gary Gee had one take but I don't know if it's still alive.

I'm sure I would have sent scions to Dennis Dodge.

Dax
P.s. I rarely keep more than (1) of anything. I give them away to people on here. I'm a hobbyist & building an arboretum.

o

Mmm...I need that second one.

o

Cool tree, Nate!
This post reminded me to take a picture of a pungens that I drive by everyday on my way to work. I took it with the camera on my phone, so the quality isn't great. It's a dark green in real life.
 photo 2013-06-24_18-31-54_388_zps30a4002a.jpg

Some of the new growth is a very light green color. It's scattered randomly throughout the tree, making the tree look like it has lights on it:
 photo 2013-06-24_18-31-31_606_zpsa087786f.jpg

Matt

o

Thanks all! Looks like we might need to trade scions next winter!

o

Wow another beauty and with sparkles no less,you guys
(and girls) really keep it interesting.D.

o

Man, that's almost a trunk with needles. It has a weird kind of attraction. Since my garden space is so limited I always look for columnar varietals.

Man this one fits that description for sure.

mark

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here