Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrishow

Name This Tree?

chris-e
10 years ago

Hi Conifer Folks!

I usually hang out in the Hosta forum, but I need you to help me with this one.
A neighbor has this tree growing in his yard. He doesn't know what it is, it was here when he moved in. I LOVE the look and may want to get one. I have one picture of the whole tree with a light post in front which will give an idea of the size of the tree. Second picture is my attempt to show a close-up of the branches.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

chris

Comments (11)

• ogcon
    10 years ago

Sure looks to me like Thuja plicata perhaps extra gold or some such cultivar.Easily acquired if it is that,and will grow
    to some serious size in time.
    Just curious....as a Hosta lover do you know my neighbors,
    Sebright Nursery?Doug

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Crippsii' or similar.

Too bad they cut the bottom branches off.

• ogcon
    10 years ago

Wow,I missed that one by a mile,I often forget how large older hinokis can grow.D.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Bboy is right, it's a 'Crippsii' or somthing simular...

• chris-e
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ogcon, I suppose you asked me that because they are in Maryland? In what part of Maryland do they live? We are northwest of DC, in a semi-rural area.

chris

• chris-e
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So Bboy, would I look for a conifer nursery (and we do have a great one near-by) and tell them I would like a Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Crippsii' or a hinoki or is there an easier name I can ask for it by?

Chris

• noki
    10 years ago

Golden Hinoki Cypress (or False Cypress) would be the common name.

The Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Crippsii' ID seems right, google the name for pics and description.

Ask to see what they have in Chamaecyparis , sometimes called False Cypress or Hinoki Cypress and see what you like. The threadleaf types are most common of yellow Chamaecyparis for sale.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i am not as good with these ID posts.. as those who already chimed in ... are

e.g. how does this differ from the plant i have a C. o. Aurea ....???

ken

ps: of course joy will probably tell me i should have known that name is invalid.. and the proper name is cripssii .... or some such nonsense.. and it will be all over town under aurea ... etc ...

dont buy too big ...

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

'Aurea' is more deeply yellow but with the yellow less evenly distributed, also the sprays are shorter. And liable to be tougher, 'Crippsii' can be damaged by unfriendly exposures or weather. At any rate, there are numerous yellow Hinoki cultivars on the market, usually less large-growing than these two older introductions. Just go to an outlet that stocks a range of garden conifers and see what yellow Hinoki they have, what those particular ones do (read signs and labels, ask for assistance, take a handheld with you and look them up...).

Here is a link that might be useful: GOLDEN CONIFERS

This post was edited by bboy on Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 14:06

• chris-e
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all. I have been looking at that tree for a couple of years, and the more I see it, the more I am looking for the right place to plant it in my yard. Now I know what to look for in the nurseries.
    Thanks again, all who answered!

chris

• ogcon
    10 years ago

Chris,good luck finding the perfect golden Hinoki,I'm sure you'll find it.I'm curious sometimes about the reputations of some of our local specialty nurseries in Western Oregon.
    Just curious to know if Sebright was on your radar .This is not an advertisement.Doug