Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
This heat is killing me!

Posted by greatplainsturf 6/7 OK (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 10, 11 at 1:00

I don't know how many of you outside Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas are experiencing this, but this summer is the worst ever. Oklahoma's drought is WORSE than the dust bowl of the 1930's. Can't buy any rain. On top of that we have insanely hot temps. 111 degrees today. OKC averages 10 days above 100 each year. We are at something like 19 so far with every day in the forecast the same. May not break till September.

All this to say, this it not good for my new conifers at my new house. All the trees are under 1 year transplanted. I have noticed that many of them are starting to show signs of burn, yellow on needle tips, some brown on the top needles on The west side etc. I am watering at least once a week as needed, and I have also resorted to building burlap screens on the west side of all these trees. Will this be affective in slowing down the burn? Is there anything else i should do to get me through this awful summer? I hope I never experience one of these again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: This heat is killing me!

Forgot to mention which conifers I have. Hoopsi and bakeri blue spruce, Norway spruce, black hills spruce, bergman's gem oriental spruce, and blue atlas cedar.

o

Hose them down several times a day for a cool down.

Dave

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 10, 11 at 9:55

The dog days have arrived, sounds like they've been around for you for quite some time.

Good luck...just make sure the water is penetrating the top of the rootball. I found two yesterday that had a crusted layer in which water wasn't penetrating, I used a putty knife to slowing peel away layers so I did't do any root damage.

o

Emigrate!

Nice comfortable 19°C here today, just perfect for conifers ;-)

Resin

o

True Resin, but the stair rod showers were getting me a little worried, my containers were swimming.

o

As noted in another thread, the heat here IS horrible this year. 80-85 at night and 100-105 days, the trees just can't get a break and the roots of anything planted in the last year or two are still sooooo shallow and they just can't get cooled off.

I know you're a blue spruce guy so I'll just speak to those.....my Bizon Blue, Baby Blue Eyes, The Blues, Blue Mist, one of my Glauca Procumbens, Hoopsi and my baby Rovelli's Monument are still hanging in there - some with a little scattered browing. But during this long heatwave my Bakeri is beginning to lose the fight and I have lost a Glauca Procumbens, Globosa, R H Montgomery and my other baby Rovelli's Monument.

It's an ugly year for us with a lot of summer to go. I have shade cloth up everywhere and have my fingers crossed.

mark

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here