Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockgardengirl

Cut Central Leader of Weeping Blue Atlas Cedar

rockgardengirl
10 years ago

Hi there, I'm new here. Excited to learn and share...

I recently bought a pretty young weeping blue atlas cedar ~8ft. While trying to tie it before planting I broke off the central leader. The amount that snapped off is at least top 40-50% (quite devastated). I've learned I need to be MUCH more careful.

Can anyone advise what the tree will do now?
Will it grow from the bottom out or will it grow up? This will help me know what I should plant with it and if it's salvageable.
Will it survive?
Anything I should train for in terms of creating healthy new growth?

Comments (5)

• 123cococo
    10 years ago

I did that with a 6 foot picea 'gold drift.' I understand the devastation. Since plants grow from the top you should be able to get another leader going in the spring. When the new growth appears just pick one that looks good and start training it up with stakes. Good luck.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

While trying to tie it before planting I broke off the central leader.

==>> been there... done that ...lol .... live and learn.. both you and the tree ...

(quite devastated).

==>>> nonsense.. perhaps you feel guilty.. so what.. as i said.. live and learn ..

I understand the devastation.

==>> i dont anymore.. after the first time.. lol ...

listen to me... and i will yell for emphasis ... ALL TREEs WILL RE-LEADER ... period ...

if it dies.. it will be from IMPROPER PLANTING ... IMPROPER WATERING... or IMPROPER AFTERCARE/MULCHING ...

you will give it.. upwards of 3 years... to sort itself out.. and THEN YOU WILL 'THINK ABOUT' HOW TO TRAIN IT ...

i can send you an application for the WEIRDER THE BETTER CLUB.. if you wish .. i founded said club.. after doing it myself the first time... lol ... [well.. actually after the third time... lol.. i am a slow learner ...lol]

the real question here.. is why you were trying to tie it up.. BEFORE PLANTING .... i bet you were focused on training it.. rather than getting it planted.. and established ....

get it to live first.. THEN worry about training it.. as the years roll by ...

please refer to the link.. to insure you did everything PROPER .... and if not... lets discuss it ....

lastly ... and this is why i gave you the link.. why were you planting an 8 foot tree.. in july???? .. i know there are places that are much more forgiving than MI in july/august.... but even so.. there are better times to do such .... refer to the link for PROPER WATERING... as that will determine.. if it lives....

and.. no fert EVER... it will not help a stressed plant.. ever..... and a newly planted 8 foot conifer.. is stressed..... well.. i suppose it 4 to 5 feet now ...

learn to laugh at yourself... live and learn... get it to live.. we can work on it as the years roll by ...

BTW.. a pic might get slightly different answers .. but not much ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• rockgardengirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks cococo & Ken for the encouragement and empathy. I appreciate your thoughtful comments.

cococo, I will watch the new growth in the spring.

Ken - follow up...

Great advice re: keep the tree alive, let it sort itself over the next 3+ years and settle in as a resident in my yard before training again. Will do.

I find this very interesting that all tree's will re-leader. That's great news and helps ease the sting from the incident... for me and the tree I suppose. I will enjoy watching this happen.

Why was I trying to tie it up before planting? I thought that was how it was to be done. :( I thought it would be too unwieldy after it was planted and that it was better to lay down. Now I know better... 1. get it settled in first 2. nourish 3. train years down the road and only after all is well.

Why am I planting in July? Because I won't be able to do it at the proper time in the fall. (For reasons I won't get into at this time I will have very little time for big projects until next summer.) This last week I have tore up my front yard and am planting over my grass (2-3 ft. of great topsoil for drainage and cardboard/green compost underneath/on top of grass). This is called lasagna mulch apparently. So now I have lots of landscaping and planting to do before this fall. Fall and winter my schedule gets really hectic and I'll only have a few hours a week. I know it's far less than ideal but it's what I have to work with.. hopefully I don't kill everything.

I would love to be a part of the WEIRDER THE BETTER CLUB! Sounds like a club that's right up my alley.

I will reference your page for watering. Thank you kindly. I really appreciate your time and guidance. I will maybe be able to laugh at myself and this mishap next year. Right now it's just too soon. Lol.

Attached pict of what's left of him :(.

This post was edited by rockgardengirl on Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 3:13

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Here we go again:
    This isn't a weeping blue Atlas Cedar (Cedrus libani)
    What you're showing us is a weeping blue Deodar Cedar.
    It's true and full name is Cedrus deodara 'Glauca Pendula'.

• rockgardengirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, my mistake. You're right the label was Glauca Pendula which wasn't as memorable to me as the Atlas Cedar but I misspoke.