Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Picea Omorika 'Westerstede'

Posted by greatplainsturf 6/7 OK (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 20, 11 at 1:33

Saw a small 3' one at the nursery today. I can't find much info online about it. Can anyone fill me in? Anyone have any pics? Does it grow like pendula?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Picea Omorika 'Westerstede'

Picea omorika 'Westerstede'

An upright evergreen conifer with a narrow form and drooping side branches. Needles are dark green with silvery undersides. Prefers full sun in well-drained soil. 6' tall x 3' wide in 10 years. Hardy ...Buchholtz

Link has a photo.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Westerstede

o

Thanks Dave

I'm looking for an image of a more mature specimen. I have a spot in a bed where I have 6' horizontally. Just want to know if this is a good fit. Obviously don't want something too big, but I don't want one too small either.

o

often.. you will never find pix of mature specimens.. good luck with that ...

frankly.. i dont see much of a difference to 'pendula' ... they all show blue tissue .... its actualy a waxy substance on the bottom of the needle.. and as they droop ... the ends turn up slightly showing the bottoms ...

i would not pay a premium for the name ... nor also buy 'pendula' .. because you might never see a difference ..

all that said.. they are HUGE trees ....

your pic already shows an 8 inch leader growth .... and i wouldnt be surprised if that is not increased as the plant ages ...

all this said.. if joy pops in ... and says its dwarf compared to the generic.. so be it .... i wasted 20 minutes and a walk into the heat to check mine. ... lol

ken

ps: there is a german nursery on wolterdingen .. or something like that.. but i cant remember the name ... joy??? web link.???

found it:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.tsuga.de/&ei=5QknTsnVGuaq0AG-h_3TCg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCIQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3DHorstmann%2BNursery%2Bin%2BSchneverdingen%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DfQG%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1086%26bih%3D949%26prmd%3Divnsfd

but i cant get page 0ne of picea ... this MIGHT be where the name plant comes from .... i did make it past page one.. in the online catalog .... but alas.. its not listed there ....

Here is a link that might be useful: link -- look down the page for potential

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here