Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
perlp_gw

Can you prune Horstmann's Siberlocke Korean Fir

perlp
12 years ago

I bought one of these from Menards today. I did not know anything about this conifer, it looked beautiful and was on sale. According to the tag its size is 6'x4' and hardy in zone 5. Looked perfect for my requirements of a small specimen tree.

But when I did some fact finding on google, found that it could grow much bigger, 10'-30' in 10-20 years according to number of nursery web sites.

I like the form and look of the tree, so would like to know if it can be kept small over the years by pruning or some other means. My ideal size would be at most 6' tall 4'-5' width.

Thanks - Lalith

Comments (10)

• severnside
    12 years ago

I bought a Pinus sylvestris 'Fastigiata' when I was naive to checking final heights. I have it in a pot but will 'release' it to a scrub area; it can grow as it wants innocent of my mistake.

I haven't bought a baby elephant since.

• perlp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the response. So it seems doable, my tree is still 3', so I think I can wait until next spring to start pruning.

How important is the timing of pruning? I have a Colorado blue spruce tree I also like to trim a little, It has new candles for about two months now. I wonder if it would be harmful to the tree, if I prune them now.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

the timing is so important.. that you might kill the plant otherwise ... you have NO CHOICE but to wait until next spring ...

if you cut off next years buds.. which are already on the plant.. then that branch will die back to the next live branch with a bud ... and if you happen to be so retentive.. that you cut off all the buds.. then the plant will die ... dramatic enough.. lol ...

as teh new growth next spring.. starts extending.. there are no buds ... when they get to about half the yearly growth rate.. you can snip back about half way ... and the following years buds will form as the new growth hardens off ...

if you wait too late.. and cut off all the new buds.. see above ..

TIMING IS EVERYTHING ...

check out the link.. and also google 'pruning conifers' .. for many more links ... also google 'silberloche' annual growth rate'

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Very important as Ken mentions. Two weeks is perfect. However, you may cut the shoot(s) back to within millimeters of where it began it's growth.

Picea/spruce & Abies/fir will both require the same format of pruning exercise.

Dax

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

The majority shipment of this plant for Menards where severely bot bound.

You may need to wait until Spring to plant. Based on what I've seen I don't know if I'd do that much root surgery and then plant in fall...I'll leave that up to the experts to provide feedback.

• perlp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Do I really have to worry about untangling roots. I am not trying to promote growth, rather to slow down and keep it alive.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

"Do I really have to worry about untangling roots"

Yes, if you want it to a) live and b) not fall down the roots need to be free.

tj

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Don't worry this plant is not by any means a fast grower. It won't grow more than 6" a year.

The challenge for you is to actually keep it alive. Make sure you give a little winter and sun protection. Also its imperative that Abies has well drained soil.

• treeforme
    9 years ago

Hey @perlp, I found this old thread and figured your Korean Fir Hortsmann is a nice mature specimen by now. I am in search of some old scion wood for last minute conifer grafting. Could I by chance buy some from you? I could even send you a prepaid shipping label if it made it easier for you? Thanks!