Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Is this a bad graft?

whaas_5a
9 years ago

This strikes me as worst than amateur, no?

{{gwi:336570}}

Comments (12)

• gardener365
    9 years ago

That sure is odd-looking. If the wedge is the scion, you need to remove the woody shoot on the left. I can't quite make heads nor tails of your photo.

Dax

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Shawnee Brave scion is to the left and then you have the fatty root stock to the right with shoots coming out (what looks like a wedge graft).

Do grafters usually toss something like this or roll with a full size tree with this kind of graft?

• toottee (6b)
    9 years ago

I joined just to ask the same question of my graft.
    It is a Abies Lasiocarpa var. Arizonica Gl Comp I received from mail order.
    I have contacted the supplier about retuning it.
    Should I?

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    9 years ago

Toottee, Return it. They used the wrong understock.One day down the road it will break where the understock is being outgrown.

Al

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Cut that silly wedge and seedling off. Give a gentle tug on that scion and see if there's a gap otherwise... you'll have to eyeball it.

---

Tootee, Would you show me that graft union from at least four sides, minimum. I'd also like to see a photo of the entire plant in its container.

Thanks,

Dax

• toottee (6b)
    9 years ago

Dax
    Here are more photos

• toottee (6b)
    9 years ago

Another side

• toottee (6b)
    9 years ago

The whole tree

• gardener365
    9 years ago

I have good news for you & thanks for the extra photos. What that grafter did is an uncommon conifer graft. As is said, 'there's more than one way to witttle wood.' He/She basically used a grafting tool or possibly a knife I suppose to make a wedge/cleft-style type of a graft. Then it appears on the sides of the scion that person reduced the width using a knife thus exposing the scion on either side of the wedge "cleft" of the cut made into the seedling and what calloused over is bark that is uniform with the scion. They probably used a tool such as a
    Fieldcraft Topgrafter then followed with the knife.

I'm not certain but the bark of the seedling-rootstock appears to be Korean fir. That's a good match for growth-rate. In due time I do believe the rootstock will catch up with the scion and in 5-8 years a uniform caliper will now be seen... with eventually the host rootstock becoming wider than the 'Glauca Compacta'. .

I would be very interested to know if my theory is correct and additionally what seedling-species the rootstock is...... I hope you email the supplier of your plant with my question(s). That will give you peace of mind knowing the conclusion doing so.

Regards,

Dax

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've yet to have a fir rootstock catch up with the scion in a case as shown. With a plant that looks to be three years old that is either A) wrong rootstock or B) low vigor/girdled rootstock.

Just my opinion, that one gets tossed...unless I have room I put it in a corner to experiment to see what it does as Dax eluded too.

• toottee (6b)
    9 years ago

I have received an answer from the supplier.
    They said it is grafted to the appropriate rootstock ... Abies Fraseri.
    They said this bulging is fairly common and will become less noticeable with age.
    I do have a very open spacious back yard so I did plant it in a back corner. The fun part will be selecting another tree for where I was originally going to plant this one :)

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Thanks for the update. All firs are compatible btw. I don't believe there's a problem at all with that graft, however, do check the root-system always as there are roots that will need straightening, unwinding, "J" roots that need to be clipped so they form new straight roots heading away from the root-system and not into it, etc-. You have to fine comb a root-system at planting time, every time.

Dax

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio