Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paula_b_gardener5bon

first conifer purchases

Hello,

The now identified Lemon Cyprus has lead me to partake in a dwarf conifer search in my area. From what I understand, there are actually very few 'dwarfs' but instead there are very slow growing conifers and as such; they stay small for a long time.

My purchases include:
Thuja orientalis 'Franky Boy'
Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Juniperoides'
Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Butter Ball'
Abies koreana 'Gelbbunt'

I have bought standard blue Junipers, standard Blue Spruce, and other 'normal' conifers such as those, but these are my first 'unusual' ones. If anyone has any other suggestions, I would like to hear them. Small is important as I do not have very much space.

Thanks,
Paula

Comments (12)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

hey

congrats...

refer to that below.. especially about SIZE ... and annual growth rate ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

10 years ago

then refer to that below about how to plant and care for them ...

they are not hosta.. annuals.. nor perennials... they like a drink and lots of drainage.. and near drying in between ....

do not amend the planting hole

and if you have bad clay.. advise.. and we can cover that variable ...

i am very tempted to suggest that july/august is not great tree planting time.. how big are the pots these are in???? .. just because you buy it.. doesnt mean its proper planting time ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the links Ken, I had no idea. I would have given it a wonderful, amended, composted planting hole!

They are small, which is what I wanted. I will take a photo and post it so you can see what they look like. My plan was to plant them with my mini hostas but that might not be a good idea.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

None of them appear to be root bound, so how do you suggest I care for them until planting time? Should I sink them in the ground where I want to place them and leave them in their pots?

Abies koreana 'Gelbbunt'
    {{gwi:765842}}

The 'gang'
    {{gwi:765846}}
    Thuja orientalis 'Franky Boy'
    {{gwi:765849}}

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Juniperoides'
    {{gwi:765852}}

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Butter Ball'
    {{gwi:765855}}

Abies koreana 'Gelbbunt'
    {{gwi:765858}}

10 years ago

will you be there.. day in.. and day out.. to INSURE PROPER WATER ... thru thanksgiving...

no extended 2 week vacation in august???

if so.. plant them ... water properly ... as noted in link above.. mulch well ...

and pray ... lol

as trees.. conifers HATE HOT ROOTS ... and little black pot in summer.. get really freakin hot ...

otherwise in shade ... or sink the pots until proper planting time...

i have seen enough of you over in the hosta forum.. to know you have some clue about things ...

proper planting time can be pushed.. by those with some experience....

ken

ps: nice to see they dont seem thoroughly pot bound ....

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If I am not here for a day or two, I can make arrangements for watering. I think I will sink them in pots in afternoon shade for now. Optimum planting time is when?

'you have some clue about things' - thanks for the compliment (I think). Although, most of the questions that I ask over there indicate that I don't have a clue about things!

The seller (John at his garden centre close to my house), loves conifers and is quite knowledgeable. He told me that I would have to protect Thuja orientalis 'Franky Boy' in the winter so I was planning on sinking that one in a pot and moving its location in the winter time - good idea or will it rebel?

Thanks for the help.
    Paula

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

"as trees.. conifers HATE HOT ROOTS ... and little black pot in summer.. get really freakin hot ... "

Ken hit it on the head here. Now I do not have rows and rows of pots all protecting eachother from exposure but IMO trees in pots, especially conifers, want to be in at least one step more shade than if they were in the yard. The shade may slow down their growth but it definitely slows down their death from root cook!

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So do you agree that I can leave them in their pots and sink them in the ground in an area that gets shade in the afternoon? Until planting time which is, I assume, next spring? I don't want them to grow fast so this might be the ideal solution?

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

They are potted cultivars in healthy condition. You can plant them now. Such nonsense. They are standing in the nursery in black pots enduring the elements and doing fine.

Get them out of those pots and plant them where they go permentally. Water and mulch...you know how to care for them.

Platycladus orientalis 'Franky Boy' good to go for Z.5. The only care/ protection it will need is to be wrapped when it puts on some size as it will splay open under heavy snow/ice loads being the multi-leader cultivar that it is. If you are in a heavy snow belt area I would probably avoid this one all together. Don't over water, just keep the soil moist after planting letting it dry out some between watering.

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Butterball' is hard to get acclimated. Give it full morning sun and filtered sunlight mid to late afternoon. Don't plant it in a hot open area that will receive 8-10 hours of sun a day through the summer season.

I see no other special concerns with the others.

I have a feeling you will be buying more and John the nurseryman is to be commended for having such good nursery stock. No junk root bound cultivars here.

Dave

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

That 'Franky Boy' is a hoot!

Have fun with your new friends.

Sara

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Dave for your advice, however; Ken has never steered me wrong in the hosta forum after 4 years.

As you commented, John the nursery guy knows conifers and he has the conifers in the shade and rotates them so that they each have a turn sitting in a small paddling pool. It is good to know that I am starting out with good stock, on the flip side - if something goes wrong, I can only blame myself!

Paula

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

Paula were not talking about hostas here. LOL.

On the serious side...

I am sure Ken never steered anyone wrong intentionally. He is a good resource for those just beginning their new found appreciation for conifers.

One word of caution. This is a forum with many knowledgeable people with one goal in mind. Trying to give good advice to those in the learning stage. Opinions vary and some are based upon where they live and what works for them. Planting time can vary depending upon zone, your seasonal weather pattern and most importaant your own micro-climate.

The best advice I can give you is to go to John, your knowledgeable conifer nurseryman friend and get his opinion for the right time to plant for your given area. Once that is resolved ask him about after care.

The best of luck with your new conifers.

Dave