Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindseylu_gw

Can juniper wood be burned safely?

lindseylu
15 years ago

Hello... does anyone know if it's safe (regarding the smoke and fumes) to burn the properly aged wood of a one-seed juniper tree? I have read online that it's fine to do so; just wanted to confirm this with the experts! Thanks in advance for your reply... Lindsey :)

Comments (12)

• pineresin
    15 years ago

Not in an enclosed space without flue ventilation. Juniper wood (several species) has been widely used for incense burning by various peoples and religions around the world, but there is evidence that the smoke (like most smoke!) is carcinogenic.

Resin

• scotjute Z8
    15 years ago

Wouldn't think it is anymore toxic than any other conifer would be.
    Some conifers can build up more tars etc in chimney flue, which can become a fire hazard if not cleaned out occassionally.

• lindseylu
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, pineresin and scotjute, for your comments! I have a wood stove in my house (with a glass door to keep the smoke out of the room) which has a chimney to the outside... so I should be ok, right? Lindsey :)

• wisconsitom
    15 years ago

Lindsey

Keep the chimney clean. If too much creosote and tar build up there, it can ignite. But this is true for anyone burning any kind of wood.

+oM

• flattie
    15 years ago

Did you just move to NM? This is a common firewood here.

No worries.

• lindseylu
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello, flattie! Yes, you tagged me immediately; I have recently moved to New Mexico and wanted to be sure that juniper wood (which as you know is so prevalent!) was safe. Thanks for your reply!

Wisconsitom, I will take your good advice and keep an eye on that chimney. Appreciate it! :)

• scotjute Z8
    15 years ago

A study I read once stated that Southern Pine actually does not deposit more soot/tar than does oak, if you keep the fire hot. Once you start damping down the fire and hence reducing the flue gas temperature, the tars/etc. start condensing out on the stovepipe walls. Assume something like that would occur with juniper wood. My guess would be that it occurs less than in pine, as I associate pine with a wood that oozes sap more so than juniper.

• lindseylu
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Scotjute, I'm sorry to be ignorant but what does "damping down a fire" mean?

• spruceman
    15 years ago

Lindseylu:

I see your question hanging out for a while with no answer. Let me try. I think flues have "dampers" which limit the air hot air/gas flow out of the stove. This reduces the air entering the stove to burn the wood, and this limits the abiliity of the fire to fully burn the creosote producing components of the wood. People use dampers to slow the burning of the fire, making it burn longer and with less heat.

I am a bit uncertain about the terminology here because I have an airtight stove, so I get the same effect by reducing the airflow to the fire using what I believe are called "registers." The more I limit the airflow into the stove, the longer and less hot the fire burns, but the more buildup I get in my flue.

--Spruce

• scotjute Z8
    15 years ago

Spruce nailed it. Damper is the device that was used to regulate air flow, usually in the exahust.

• lindseylu
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, spruceman and scotjute, for the information! I appreciate it! :)))

• juarez1_frontiernet_net
    13 years ago

Due these possible concerns about burning juniper wood hightend when burned in fireplace that has a blower too help disperse the heat in living area?