Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
forrest30295

Blues Garden

forrest30295
10 years ago

Last winter I unintentionally planted several blue conifers fairly close together. The area where I planted these conifers borders a three or four acre section of the property that I can easily clear and maintain. Now I've decided that I am going to expand my blue garden. I am picturing a small secluded section of my garden where every plant you see around you is blue. Hopefully that will include the grass. That may change over time to include silver and white foliage as well.

So what are some of everyone's favorite blue conifers, or blue plants in general? I'd love to hear from some people in hot regions too. I know there are some really beautiful Blue Spruce cultivars out there. I also know I can't grow most of them. Here are a few that I am either growing or am planning on growing here in Georgia: Abies pinsapo 'Glauca', Cedrus atlantica 'glauca', Cedrus deodara (several blue varieties, not sure which is best), Cunninghamia lanceolata 'Samurai', Cupressus cashmeriana, Picea pungens 'Foxtail', Pinus parviflora 'Glauca', Taiwania cryptomerioides.

I know there are some blue Junipers and Cedars but I'm not familiar with them. What I really need is a blue Keteleeria, Dawn Redwood, Bald Cypress, Momi Fir, or Cryptomeria. That would make gardening down south more fun!

Thanks,
Forrest

Comments (4)