Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcsteg

Nothing new...

dcsteg
11 years ago

I have seen this day after day since the first of June.

Rain to the west or east. I am in the middle. MCI/MKC.

Fall is here. All trees are dropping leaves and all conifers that turn yellow/gold have begun that transformation.

Dave

Comments (33)

• gardener365
    11 years ago

It's time to move (if it were that easy).

Dax

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

Dax, not sure exactly where you are, but in my mind, I place your farm somewhere near the Quad Cities area? At any rate, you must have gotten at least some rain lately huh?

+oM

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Yes, I'm 35 miles south of the Quad Cities. I saw a few minutes of drizzle this morning, but that's all that showed up. I was hoping for a good storm. I didn't empty my rain gauge from a few days ago, and add in today's less than five minutes, and it looks like 1/20". I'm really due, just like Dave.

Dax

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

Sorry, I'm such a weather geek, Im always looking at radars, precip. totals, and other arcane and useless data.

BTW, off-topic as it gets, but I played at the big reggae festival in the Quads-I couldn't even tell you which exact city that is or was in-a few times. Lots of fun.

+oM

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Noooo Way!
    Rock Island, in 'The District'.

I used to go every year. I'm not big into festivals and concerts anymore, but, I sure had a good time, back in the days.

Dax

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

Yeah for real, Dax. This would have been the early 2000s. I was touring with a band called New Flavor. We even got to know some crazies from Springfield and whatnot. Guy had an unbelievable studio out back. One time, on the way to St. Louis, we made unbelievably good use of his break room!

That festival was cool. We really had some good shows there. After that period, me and two others from that band started a new one called Reggae Fire. But now, I've finally given it up, it seems. Haven't so much as touched a musical instrument in over two years.

+oM

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Jah rasta me mon.

This is me with my friend Eva from Finland, 1995. I was abroad to study in Sweden. My friend Martin from Canada happened to frame this photo well as it appears Bob is pointing his finger at me, of course being me own rasta mon of that time!

Keep it cool brotherman.

Dax

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

Hah! Very cool Dax. Looks like good days.

+oM

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Getting closer but 30 miles to north and shrinking in size.

This will miss us also.

Dax what happened to the lady? She looks like she needs a good 8 hours sleep. What were you studying in Finland? Looks like a good place to study and do some trolling at the same time. Lucky you. Yea, man.

Dave

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Eva was meek. That was her natural, look. I went over to study Swedish language in Goteborg, Sweden. Eva was from Helsinki which is the only city in Finland where the people speak both Swedish, and Finnish. I met Eva/asked her to hang out, while on a bus. She was wearing a long gray trench coat.

My college, Augustana (Swedish founded), sent me there to study in December and when I arrived, the classes I was supposed to be enrolled in were not being offered that semester to my large disbelief. And, the rest of the courses being offered, too, were taught in high-level Swedish language -- which gave me no chance to pick up any credits. Long story short, I was in Europe for three months, traveling, meeting other travelers at hostels, and having possibly, the greatest time of my life.

Dax

• jimbobfeeny
    11 years ago

Crazily enough, I got hit by 1 inch of rain last Friday! Boy, that was sure nice! We are going to need more by this friday, though - It came too late to save many of the crops around here. Now, if only the rain would keep up!

• severnside
    11 years ago

You make a nice couple.

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A slight band 20 miles to south. Anything would have helped. These little storms can dump a 1/2 inch of rain on you real quick. Calling for highs near a 100 the rest of the week. We got pasted with 108 F here two days ago.

Dave

I see my neighbors Pinus strobus species, about eight of them 30 ft. tall are dieing. This one has already croaked. These things are well established and have been in the ground 20 years.

Dave

{{gwi:766449}}

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Do you folks have any relief in site? Out here on the East coast, temps this week are about 20* cooler this week then it's been, with highs in the low 80*s. Dave, how's that 'Niemetz' you planted in the spring faring?

Dax, sounds like a great opporunity to be a 'student of life'. Good ol' days indeed - life was simpler, plus it was much easier to get those 8 hours of sleep. My college days overlapped yours (I graduated in '96). Strangest thing is now, looking back that has been so long since then - sure doesn't feel like it's been 15 or 20 years since school. I wonder if that makes me sound young to some of you guys :0).

Alex

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Alex,

All pungens are doing well. My regimented watering schedule seems to be working well.

Picea pungens ''Niemetz' I am watching carefully as it is a first year planting. So far no issues.

Dave

Picea pungens 'Niemetz' in summer color. 7-31-2102.

{{gwi:766451}}

• Cher
    11 years ago

Lots of loss in my area too Dave. My own - don't even want to count what all I have lost. With nothing but 90's and 100's here for months, but the week of straight 100's and then the day of 108 with heat index of 115 it seemed everything that was barely hanging on, succumbed. As I've been driving around the area this week I can't believe how many conifers are dead, trees close behind in numbers. I guess I shouldn't feel so bad since most of these I've seen are long established. So far I've kept my trees and flowering shrubs alive though, but lost some conifers and perennials.
    Cher

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Dave, do you've a chrystal ball in where you can so the future of your 'Niemetz'?
    Your mentioned year of vieuw says 2102 which is 90 years ahead from now.
    If that's true then this cultivar very slow growing... ;0)

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Edwin ...Just got back from a ride in my time warp machine. I forgot to set back the calendar to 2012. Once you been there you never want to come back. Next time I will be more careful. Not to many people know about this.

Dave

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Could this bring us some relief? It is headed right for us. For the last 3 months they usually break apart and never reach us. MCI/MKC is home base.

Irregardless forecast 106F. today.

Dave

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

As you can see...it's turning south. Not going to get it.

Get out the hose.

Dave

• texjagman
    11 years ago

We have an honest chance at the all time high ever recorded on any day in Oklahoma today....113.

woohoo

mark

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's the last of it. We got nothing. The cloud cover from these storms has been with us all day. As a result it is only 93 here at 2:PM CDT. Was suppose to go to 106F.

Dave

• texjagman
    11 years ago

Well, we got our record.....115 !!

So is it time to laugh or cry?

mark

• severnside
    11 years ago

Dsteg = Kansas
    Tex = Oklahoma

Just been looking at the US map after watching a vid about the world's deserts. Arizona and New Mexico are mentioned for the US. As Oklahoma is partly on the same latitude and Kansas the next state up, how green should your states be in normal climate (if there is such a thing)?

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

I gotta tell you guys in Kansas/Oklahoma area, I don't know if I could take it. We were hot earlier-more 90's than I recall ever seeing. Towns to our west where it's always warmer hit 100 a few days running. That's crazy stuff for up here. But to be stuck in the middle of it like that...sheesh. And for all the drought we were having in June and July, and really since last winter, the ground is actually moist around here. Had some rumblers fizzle out just before they swooped down on us late today, but more could fire up later.

Seems like it might take a land-falling tropical system to appreciably soak a big chunk of the S. Central states.

+oM

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

I can't help but laugh as I scroll through this thread...

A map, dax in his glory days, a map, a dead strobus, a map, a rare spruce and more maps. Quite the eclectic thread.

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

...and I haven't even talked about my bass rig yet!

+oM

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Post whatever you want.

Kind of a catch all thread.

A strip tease happy hour "Come on in" door sign and a used car for sale should cover it.

This is headed our way. Can it make it? We will see tomorrow morning. Potent storm with a strong bow echo which means strong winds are associated with it.

Dave

• firefightergardener
    11 years ago

I think those of us in livable climates read these threads like people slowing down at car accidents. We're both appauled and yet closely interested in the horrendous droughts and heat affecting half the country. The question after two or three years of this is when does this become a pattern?? Hang in there guys, we're doing our best rain dances out here for you.

-Will

• brian_zn_5_ks
    11 years ago

Ah, at least today I've managed to get logged in after an absence of several months.

Dave, wanted to take the opportunity again to thank you for the tour of Kansas and Missouri nursery people. I wasn't joking when I said you really knocked some socks off. Talk on the tour bus was of incredulous wonder at your garden.

And hey, remember what i suggested to you - if the conifers are gonna shoot craps with this weather - you've got a great site for the beginnings of a garden railroad!

Brian

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Brian,

We did have a great time. The whole group were most enjoyable and complementary. Although the weather was a 100 F. + they didn't seem to mind. I am sure the spirits and food took the edge off the heat. Everything is heat stressed but should recover.

This thing looks impressive but as you can see dyeing on the vine. About 010 of rain. Just enough to over fill my Kansas rain gauge. After this goes by we are going to do a 100 F. today.

Dave

• gardener365
    11 years ago

My trees are still alive and I'm not watering them. I planted a bunch of 1-year grafts right from the greenhouse to the ground 2 years ago and last year I did the same. It probably helps that most are hard pines and Picea. 96 here today. Sunday they're saying 83. Can't wait!

Dax

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    11 years ago

Dax, You look happy as a clam with your little honey there.
    I think Dave will smile like that when the rain starts to fall. I hope its real soon! Only Dave and his wife know how much of themselves they have invested to produce and maintain such first class gardens that we all have been invited to enjoy.....Hope you'all get some soon!
    AL