Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
unprofessional

Nice big graveyard strobus

unprofessional
10 years ago

One of the largest I've seen in this area. Normal sized gravestone to the left of the trunk for scale. Oldest gravestones I've seen in this area, as well, which is interesting since the graveyard's in the middle of nowhere.

Comments (13)

• botann
    10 years ago

Where is 'this area'?
    Mike

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

It's nice to go through old cemeteries like that. I always note how many child graves there are with many just being days old. Mary Johnson died at the start of the Civil War. Some stones around here in MA go back to the early 1700s.

If it ever stops raining I will venture out on my bicycle and grab some pictures of a graveyard near me in Lakeville that is in a pine grove high on a hill that is roughly kept up, but the stones are so very old I don't think any relatives visit. It is an experience to go up there. So, so quiet, beautiful, not a sign of any living person. I can't help reading the inscriptions and feel obligated to say a little something to the 'residents' since they get so few visitors.

None have responded. Surely a little whacky, but what do you do when walking around such a place?

Jon

• unprofessional
    Original Author
    10 years ago

South central Michigan, right where Indiana and Ohio come together.

Graveyards are always interesting to me. I had a high school teacher that showed us the background of many of the symbols you see on the stones; it was fascinating.

Really old ones, you'll see a lot of stones just labeled "Baby." I was told that often times people wouldn't name their children 'till they were a year old, since they lost so many.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

who knew

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

I noticed that there always seemed to be big Century plants in old cemeteries. Ken, your reference explains that it represents immortality or long life. Interesting, I used to call them cemetery plants.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

It seems bigness in P. strobus starts at about 148' high and maybe 3' in diameter, based on current records been reported. How big do you think this one is?

• kenptn
    10 years ago

When I was a kid I lived 5 minutes from an old cemetery. There were prominent people buried there, as well as my hometowns founder. There were a few very large European beeches and some very large white pines, one of which had partially "eaten" a tombstone. The oldest stones were made of limestone, and the lettering was almost completely eroded away. I don't remember the founders exact date of death, it was sometime in the mid 1600's.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

Being a father of 2 daughters, I can't help it but feel sad for those parents that lost their daughter. :-(

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

bboy, judging from a 100 ft white pine bordering my lot, I don't think the pictured one above is that tall -- maybe 90'. But it sure has a huge trunk.

Isolated white pines get beat up as they get old (especially from ice-storms), but the one above is still impressive.

• wisconsitom
    10 years ago

The General McArthur white pine, previously the world's largest, finally succumbed to repeated lightning strikes and other adverse weather events, in its N. wisconsin home. It was big!

+oM

• PRO
    it'sALLart
    10 years ago

2 of the largest trees I've ever seen in Indiana were both in grave yards. In southern Indiana, there are probably the largest tulip poplar (in girth, not height) in a cemetary in the middle of a nature preserve and along 37, near Mitchell, there are 3 extremely large eastern red cedars in a grave yard, easy to see from the highway. They are busted up very badly internally, but kept growing anyway, so very gnarled and fantastic. Glad we have such beauties growing here in the midwest. Too bad they are only in grave yards, but thank goodness they are SOMEWHERE. :-)

• wisconsitom
    10 years ago

Yes, generally speaking, cemeteries are great places to see big, old trees. Lots of really large Norway spruce can be found here, for another example.

+oM

• pineresin
    10 years ago

If you want old trees in cemeteries, plant Yews.

This one has a trunk around 2 metres diameter and is reckoned to be around 700-800 years old ;-)

at Beltingham Church in Northumberland, UK

Resin

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County