Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katskan41

Moving of blue spruce

katskan41
15 years ago

Hi all. Our elderly neighbor asked for help in moving one of his blue spruces. He planted it too close to a couple of Norway spruces and it needs to be moved. The blue spruce is a beautiful silver blue and looks similar to a Fat Albert, although I don't believe it's a special cultivar. It's about 4 to 5 feet tall and from what he told us has been in it's current location for about 5 years.

Any suggestions on how and when to move it? I've moved small seedlings before but never a 4 to 5 foot established tree.

Thanks!

Dave

Comments (12)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

timing is everything...

for the best odds of success ..in MI.. move it in late sept or oct .... depending on how hot sept is ...

i would NOT move it in the heat of the summer in MI ... which is today thru sept ... no tree wants all its roots cut off.. and then the potential for 100 degree days

ken

15 years ago

i have been mulling this over ...

personally ... with hundreds of conifers.. i would NEVER move a 5 footer .... well i have.. and they have all died.. and i know what i am doing, on some level ...

i respect dave .... but if you are going to root prune in advance.. i would move it as soon as the ground thaws around 4/1 in MI ....

why stress it now.. and then again by moving it in october?????

all that said.. IF IT WERE ME .... i would invest $50 in a new named variety ...

and use this one as an xmas tree .... i would NOT put in 4 to 6 hours of backbreaking labor... to give myself a 50/50 chance at survival ....

in the other alternative.. is to have a few scions grafted in january .... to save this specific tree .... and then be done with the big one .... maybe $25 invest or so ...

gee tree farm in just north of jackson state prison off I94 ... google them.. take a ride.. buy a new one.. and avoid the back breaking labor ...

you are talking a 3 to 5 foot root ball that you are going to have to lift out of the hole and drag to the new hole ... are you ready for that.. or would you rather spend a few bucks ... and have a pleasant drive?????

ken

• karinl
    15 years ago

Timing: two words: NOT NOW

One addition to Dave's method: fill new planting hole with water at least twice the day before, and let drain.

If it's going into a sunny spot, consider making temporary shade (if ignoring the first two words).

KarinL

• dcsteg
    15 years ago

Just keep thinking Ken...your ideas are always good.

I did a 6 ft. 'Hoopsii' move 3 years ago.... never again. If again it would have to be something special.

Since he asked I though he should know what it entails to move a conifer this size. Not a piece of cake with the root ball being the real challenge to lift out of the hole and transport.

I like the xmas tree idea.

Dave

• wisconsitom
    15 years ago

There's nothing wrong with the rootpruning concept, but as a practical matter, this job is hard enough without that, and in reality, it is unnecessary.

Thousands of spruce this size and bigger are moved every year with no advance rootpruning. Dig a decent distance out from the trunk, shovel turned away from trunk, and cut through soil/roots as described. It takes some oomph to do this well.

After this initial cut, dig out a bit further in the normal fashion, to create the beginnings of a trench around tree. Take out any soil you can. Separate topsoil and subsoil? I'd say that too is a degree of care beyond what is actually necessary.

Now, begin ccutting down and in towards what will be bottom of rootball. As before, you want to cut through roots, not just bang on them and shake everything loose. A short-handled tree-digging spade is very helpful for this task.

continue until you've completely undercut the root ball. Shave off excess soil if you can do so without jeopardizing too much more root system.

Find a piece of burlap, tarp, or what have you, that will fit underneath, and up and around root ball. Roll it in half, placing the rolled up material downward as far underneath rootball as you can. Now, gently rock tree towards side tarp/burlap is started from so that you can grab hold of the rolled up section and guide it all the way underneath to other side.

Now you've got a good way for you and a friend to lift the tree out of the ground and carry to where it's going.

A predug hole should be waiting. Of course, if it's a good deal wider than the rootball of the transplant, new root growth will be aided.

Plant at proper depth (Not too low) and water in well. Pay close attention to water needs for first year.

I realize I've both repeated some of, and contradicted some of what Dave told you. Perhaps you will synthesize our two responses and come up with a plan that'll work for you;^)

+oM

15 years ago

last thought from me ....

there is a big world of hurt between what can be done [theoretically] and what should be done ....

as i get older .... what i CAN do .. and what i usually end up doing... is worlds apart ...

good luck whatever you decide

ken

• katskan41
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'd like to thank you all for your excellent comments. The root pruning advice was very informative. I've heard of this technique but have never tried it before.

I also appreciate ken's point of view. Probably if it were my blue spruce, I'd do as he suggests, simply buy a new one and be done with it. However, the elderly neighbor who asked for the help really likes his tree. I owe him a favor anyway so a few hours of labor might be worth it.

Thanks again everyone!

Regards,

Dave

• Ramona Novitt
    last year

We have a 11 foot tall Fat Albert we are attached to and hope to move it this June in MA. I’m getting nervous reading all these posts.
    If there’s a will there’s a way but is there hope in potential 90 degree heat, which is unusual but we’re getting days that hit even in May here.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

@Ramona Novitt, aside from the fact that an 11' conifer is too large to move easily without heavy equipment, June is probably the very worst time of year to attempt to do so.

• plantkiller_il_5
    last year
    last modified: last year

try it in april ,,cooler

but if you must ...

it can be done

see link

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

Anything can be done......if you throw enough time, energy and experience at it. But if you have never done it before, I sure as heck would not attempt this as a DIY project in June. Your chances of success are extremely limited.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler