Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not quite as small as Juniperus horizontalis 'Blue Pygmy'

Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 8:13

Are there any juniper cultivars hiding out there that aren't quite as small as Juniperus horizontalis 'Blue Pygmy'?

Its seams like you have this mini and then all the mounding/groundcover types jump up to 4-5' wide over 10' years even for what I can find as the slower growing types.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not quite as small as Juniperus horizontalis 'Blue Pygmy'

I am not so sure what you are looking for is out there.

You want something that is larger then 'Blue Pygmy' but slow enough that it doesn't in 10 years jump to 4-5 ft. in spread?

You can, for years, keep spreading/ mounding junipers in check with selective pruning. The key word here is selective. Know what you want to achieve with this cultivar then make your cuts accordingly.

It's a common practice that I use for my small islands. Also applies to other Genus/species cultivars. I have kept some in check for years that if left to free range would have taken over my whole island and in the yard making an impossible situation to deal with.

Dave

o

J. procumbens, 'Nana' is slow growing and can be kept small. It's used a lot for bonsai.
Mike

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 11:12

Dave, I had a feeling that was the case so I likely have to go with the mid sized junipers. Looks like a gap in the market!

Are you typically cutting back those longest shoots similar to the fork pruning they do for spruces?

I'll end up going with the procumbens 'Nana' for a green selection, 'Gold Strike' for gold but need to find a blue selection beyond 'Blue Star'.

o

There is a cultivar named,,,I think,,,,Icee
lighter blue than blue rug and slower growing
I have to dig around my tag bucket to find out name
ron

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 21:42

Yeah, there is an Icee Blue but I see widths of 8' for that cultivar so I took that as faster growing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Icee Blue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here