Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
richardus

Identify the cypress, holiday photos etc.

richardus
12 years ago

Been on holiday in the national park Mljet, and island in Croatia. Absolute heaven on earth. I thought I'd borrow a cone and try growing something out of it as a souvenir but I don't know what I got and how I should proceed. Included are some photos to help you identify it. I think it's a cypress and I hope it's not another arizonica because I already got one.

The last photo is just an idea of what this place looks like. Those conifers are not cut but actually growing just above the lake surface. Beautiful!

Comments (12)

• richardus
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oops, I think those might be too small...

The last one, not the trees from which the cone was picked...

• scotjute Z8
    12 years ago

Primarily from the cones,it is not Arizona Cypress. It looks like wild Italian Cypress. Also has bark and greener color similar to what I would expect, but I am not well-versed in Italian Cypress. The Cupressus Conservation Project has a fairly detailed cone chart comparing cones of different cypress that should be helpful in identifying it.
    I'm currently growing a wild Italian cypress derived from a tree I found in Balmorhea, Tx. Beautiful specimen.

• pineresin
    12 years ago

Mediterranean Cypress Cupressus sempervirens. It is not native in the area, but commonly naturalised there.

The pines in the last pic are Aleppo Pine Pinus halepensis.

Resin

• richardus
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Correct on the Allepo pines. They were everywhere...

• richardus
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Basic question on my holiday souvenir: I got the seeds after I left the cone to open up for some three weeks, I've soaked them in water for 24 hours and are now in the fridge for another month, cold stratification and all.

Would you suggest I try and germinate them in potted soil end of September, beggining of October? What should I expect if I do so?

• nothotsuga
    12 years ago

If I understod right you are speaking of Cupressus seeds, right? See the advice following the link below. You can sow anytime provided you will keep the seedlings frost free during the cold months, and if at 20ð to add a growing lamp. But you will not be able to plant a Cupressus sempervirens outside in zone 6.

Question: is it the same tree on photo 2 and 3?

Here is a link that might be useful: Practical Seedling Growing

• richardus
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Same tree on photos 2 and 4, Mediterranean Cypress, yes.

That is a good website there. As for zones, I think it's possible as I've seen at least two of them outside where I live, I just didn't know these were Mediterranean ones before.

I will give it a go. 20 September I'll sow them in pots, germinated seeds or not as per that website, and see what happens.

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Is it Aleppo Pine or Allepo Pine, I see both species names mentioned here...

• nothotsuga
    12 years ago

As for zones, I think it's possible as I've seen at least two of them outside where I live.

Surprise! It is not hardy in Germany (with few exceptions), when most of the country is zone 7 and 6. Could you please post a photo of theses trees? And I am very curious to know in which region you are living. Origin of your seeds should be zone 9.

It is Aleppo Pine although I don't understand why there are two "p". In French : Pin d'Alep, and of course only one "p" in halepensis.

• richardus
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm in Skopje, Macedonia which is more or less in the Medditeranean region, some 200 km inland of Aegean and Adriatic/Ionian Sea.

If by origin of seeds you mean where I collected these, it's an island off the coast of Dubrovnik, Croatia.

I'll post the photos of the two cypresses tomorrow or the day after, now the light is not the best.

• nothotsuga
    12 years ago

Thanks, Richardus!

Now I understand better. According to my hardiness zone map of Europe, Skopje is in zone 7. And Southern Europe is surely better than Northern Europe.

• pineresin
    12 years ago

The Syrian city (after which the pine is named) has always been Aleppo in English; "allepo" is just a spelling error.

What colour were the cypress seeds you got out of the cone?

Resin