Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arktrees

Obliterated!!!!!

arktrees
10 years ago

Anyone need a toothpick?

Result of lightning on a large Pine Tree outside where my female counter part significant other works. IIRC, these are Ponderosa Pine, with trunk diameters of around 36". Just thought the Conifer people might like to see.

Arktrees

Comments (18)

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

Big ponderosa pines in AR? Sure they're not shortleafs or loblollies?

• arktrees
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will see if I can find the reference, but some time back I read something by Dr. Gerald Klingaman of the Arkansas extension service on these very trees. I had always recognized them as being different from what is frequently seen in the area, but I was surprised to learn that they were a western species that does surprisingly well here in Arkansas, and I thought it was Ponderosa Pine because I remember thinking about the old TV show Bonanza. The link below is the closest I can find at the moment.

Arktrees.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.learn2grow.com/plants/pinus-ponderosa/

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Holy s**t! We don't have lightening here...sometimes I think that I miss those thunderstorms but maybe not!

Sara

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

my female counter part significant other

==>> never seen so many qualifications in one description in my life... lol ...

mother nature is a bee-otch ... if you know what i mean ...

no lightening in CA???? .. that blows my mind...

ken

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Nope Ken, none in Oregon either. No fireflies either.

All can I can say about that tree is BANG!

I love storms, good old mid-west storms...!

Dax

• arktrees
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know Ken, We have a "non-traditional" relationship,for very good reason's. So I tend to use "Significant Other".

BTW, did you get the email I sent you through GW a few weeks ago. I have not been able to access the email account tied to GW, nor change the email account tied to GW, so I don't know if you actually got it or not. I have not been back to the site to see if they have taken that particular part down.

DAX,
    Yes LOVE thunderstorms, especially when it's been droughty, as it has been. Just the same, it's been far far improved over the last two years. These particular storms caused very severe, very localized flooding last night as well as taking out this tree.

Arktrees

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

ark

wonder how many words it would take her.. to describe you ...

rotflmbo...

ken

oh .. i sent that canadian tree place an irate email..about them exploiting my child by using his picture for profit .... but i never went back.. nor contacted the RMCP on a child exploitation claim ... what scum.. not only steal my tri color pic.. but to use my dwarf for profit ... i hope they rot in hell .... i would have been honored to give them a pic w/o the babe in it... they ought to be castrated ...

there is NO WAY.. to reply to a GW email... should you ever do it again.. include your direct email ... i thought i sent you a reply by getting an email thru your GW page..

• arktrees
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well the word she would probable use for me starts with an "A" and ends with a "Hole", which I freely admit that I am guilty of at times. ;-)

Yeah, it's very scum laden of them. Tells you about their business practices. There were lots of photos on there that I have seen elsewhere.

Arktrees

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

There are thunderstorms in CA but only in the mountains. We actually had one here a couple of months ago - so mild to my ear/eye (having grown up in NJ) that I pretty much missed it, and it was the talk of the county the next day or so. That was the only one in the area since I moved here 33 years ago! I do miss them - the lovely cathartic feeling after the storm passes and the air is clear.

I miss the fireflies, too!

Sara

• arktrees
    Original Author
    10 years ago

BTW, she was telling me that as far away as she was when she took the above picture, that there were many pieces 15 or so feet behind her.

Arktrees

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Wow!

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

I followed your link, arktrees, and it does show pics of a large Ponderosa taken by Dr. Gerald Klingaman. But is it in AR? Maybe areas in AR don't have a high incidence of needlecast like I do here? I dunno...

Here is a link that might be useful: Ponderosa pics

• arktrees
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I know next to nothing about Needlecast disease, so I am certainly not qualified to say. In fact I had not heard of it before today, which leads me to think that it's not a large problem, but again, I don't "KNOW" that.

I will say, I'm fairly confident the pic linked below is local, though I think it is old and the construction has changed things there now. I think I know where it is (University of Arkansas property on one of the local research farms). On the far left side of the picture, is a truck with a red license plate that is of the sort that the University of Arkansas uses on University vehicles. All the others do not have state issued plates, which is typical for Arkansas, as they are required only on the back.

Just the same, it doesn't really matter for the purposes of this thread. Dr. Klingamen writes a "Plant of the Week" article series that are excellent. Both indoor and outdoor plants. Some of you would likely find them worthwhile reading.

Here is a link to an archive of his articles:
    http://www.arhomeandgarden.org/plant_week.htm

Arktrees

Here is a link that might be useful: Ponderosa

This post was edited by arktrees on Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 16:33

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

Wow. Must be a very powerful lightening to blow that tree up!

• wisconsitom
    10 years ago

I'd be surprised if Pinus ponderosa would not have needlecast problems anywhere east of Big Muddy. Individual trees do seem to vary in susceptibility, but even so, to have one develop for as long as that one must have, and to have remained so green and healthy, would be most unusual IMO.

+oM

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

That's crazy. I didn't realize how far around debris was scattered until you mentioned your SO's comment.

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

wisconsitom, one thing I notice is how isolated those trees are (were). Isolation can help.

• arktrees
    Original Author
    10 years ago

FWIW,
    There are relatively few conifers in the area. Most of what is here is planted Loblolly Pine, Eastern White Pine, Bald Cypress, Spruces, and scatter others. None are native to this corner of Arkansas but do well enough. The only native Pinus that I know of in this part of Arkansas is the Shortleaf Pine, and there aren't very many of those. Otherwise it is Eastern Red Cedar that pretty much rounds out the native conifers in this area, though I am far from a conifer expert. No native spruce, hemlock etc.

Deciduous trees far and away dominate. Oak, Hickory, Elm, Sycamore, Maple, Hackberry etc.

Arktrees