Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rgonyer

Wind damaged arborvitae, how to save?

rgonyer
15 years ago

It just seems like one thing after another this year!

We have a row of 25 nice healthy (well they were) arborvitae that create a nice privacy screen at the back of our lot. They have been planted around 8 years and are probably 12 to 15 ft tall if I had to guess.

We just had a huge bagworm problem taken care of so we were finally feeling good about the health of our trees when a HUGE windstorm came through and caused a lot of damage. We had a nice big pear tree snap off at the bottom, and lost about 70% of a huge willow. Our metro area had about 90,000 without power and didn't restore it all until over a week later if that gives you any idea!

Anyway, after cleaning up the yard, pear tree and willow tree, we though we were done. A couple of our Arborvitae were leaning a bit, but we figured it was no big deal. One is now leaning a lot, and some of the foilage on one side is starting to yellow. I wonder if some of the roots were damaaged, or are out of the ground.

Is there anything I can do to try to straighten and/or save this tree? I'd hate to start over with a few 5 footers in a row of 15 footers! :)

Thanks for any suggestions!

Robb

Comments (10)