Posted by blue_yew Z9 swe (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 17, 11 at 10:01

Taxus canadensis a rare species anyone know how big
they get?

Taxus canadensis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Taxus canadensis

man that is some heavy duty caging.. what are you protecting it from .. godzilla??

we can always rely on you for the unique and rare ...

no clue about your ???

in the last 8 weeks.. on my sand.. i have had one rain of 3/4 of an inch [1.91 cm] of rain ... nice to see a damp, lush setting ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I've never grown this myself, but when I was a kid I saw it in the wild in southern New Hampshire. It was growing under dense mixed forest in a deep gorge. The plants were scattered rather thinly over several acres. If memory serves, they were less than one meter high, quite a bit less.

o

I second the previous post....Pretty prostrate, definitely 1m or less and spreading. Never seen it in anything other than dense forest....and it's never a dense shrub. Didn't think of it as rare though, it's in every moist forest I've hiked in.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 19, 11 at 22:38

That godzilla comment was too funny. I agree it looks so tropical. I feel like my neighbors grass is about to go up in flames any day!

o

Photobucket
Taxus canadensis in my arboretum. 30 years old.

Photobucket
Taxus canadensis foliage
Clement

o

Interesting Clement yours could be a different clone
from mine.

o

It grows where i grew up in Ohio. It grew as large prostrate shrubs covering entire steep hillsides and cliffs where the deer can't get them. they grew under Betula allegheniensis, Fagus grandifolia, Tsuga canadensis and Acer saccharum on north facing slopes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here