Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Great presentation conifers.

Posted by dcsteg 5b Shawnee, KS. (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 21, 12 at 10:22

On Wednesday, July 18 the 2012 summer conference of the Kansas/Missouri Nursery & Landscape Association featured my garden on their schedule. Those included in the group were nurserymen, educators and businessmen. This event was enjoyed by all. The tour of the garden provided a visual usage of conifers, deciduous trees and perennials in an established landscape setting.

The uniqueness of the conifer in the attached photo was a highlight of the tour. This conifer is available through Buchholz.

Dave

Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Schirrmann's Nordlicht'

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Great presentation conifers.

It's beautiful! Lush foliage, nice shape. Thanks for the photo!

o

Dave, Beautiful redwood. They were a lucky group. I know you had a great day. Jay

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 21, 12 at 11:27

That sure is a beauty! I got one on order for myself. Plan to situate near A. palmatum 'Emperor One' and Abies n. 'Golden Spreader', if I can keep them alive.

o

Dave, my German friend Winfried Schirrmann would be very proud if he knew that his selection was the highlight of that tour!

o

Nice conifer, and congratulations on the tour!

o

Sat, Jul 21, 12 at 12:10

Edwin, is it true Winfried gave Talon permission to rename the plant to 'North Light'?

o

Will, no, that's not true, Talon decided himself to rename it.
Talon and Winfried never had any contact at all...

o

I will meet my friend Winfried and his wife in August and will tell him that his selection was the highlight.
It's really a beautiful plant.

Wolfgang

o

• Posted by dcsteg 5b Shawnee, KS. (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 21, 12 at 14:11

Although Talon keeps the North Light name he also now references it as aka 'Schirrmann's Nordlicht'.

Dave

o

Sat, Jul 21, 12 at 16:22

Perhaps Arboretum Trompenburg in Rotterdam gave him permission but that doesn't make much sense. I bet Talon changed it himself since he hates people that put their name in the cultivar name.

Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'White Spot' is a variegated "Dawn Redwood" with light green foliage blotched with white. I used to not care for it, and don't even have one anymore. Then I saw it looking absolutely beautiful in the rain at Arboretum Trompenburg in Rotterdam. Gert Fortgens, the director, told me the secret was to keep it pruned. A fantastic mutation did occur on 'White Spot' in Germany. This dwarf happy-looking conifer is called 'Schirrmann's Nordlicht' in Europe, and we were given permission to give it the translated name 'North Light' in America (However we use both names on every label when they are sold).

Here is another random rant in his blog. Its funny because it reminds me of grumpy old man.

Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood'
But, in mid July, what still looks good? Well, most cultivars actually. Many nurserymen and gardeners have grown callous to the purple-reds, both the uprights and the mounding laceleafs. They are ubiquitous for sure, and can be found in every type of landscape. I can show you a decent-looking 'Bloodgood' in front of a dilapidated white-trash trailer, and I have to applaud the dwellers for having spent part of their welfare check on a great plant. More likely they stole the tree, but at least they took a classy plant over a toilet with petunias.

Speaking of trash, a trailer neighbor resides at the beginning of the back-road entrance into our nursery. They and their drug friends park on my road, and then look surly at me as I wait for them to move. Their scabby horses jump their poorly-tended fences and trample through our display garden. For thirty two years I've had to hold my breath as I pass these low-lives. They keep breeding, and every sixteen years or so, I'm presented with another generation.

o

Will, Gert Fortgens never will give permission for renaming a plant which he didn't found by himself...

o

Dave, that is a wonderful specimen! I recently spotted something similar to it around here, though I do not recall the name. Yours is tip-top!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here