Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcsteg

Preparing new grafts for planting.

dcsteg
15 years ago

Dax and I occasionally share plants. One of my latest acquisitions was Picea pungens 'Edit. One of the bluest, so I am told.

To my amazement these 1 year graft plants in 4 inch pots were packed full of roots.

To prepare the plant for its temporary home till next spring follow along.
'Edit' with root stock still attached.

{{gwi:768672}}

Dig hole and mound dirt up in center to support root flare. Add water and let drain.

{{gwi:768673}}

{{gwi:768675}}

Roots were washed clean to expose excess for triming back.

{{gwi:768677}}

Untangled and pruned back. Keep in mind the roots were kept wet during this process.

{{gwi:768678}}

Root flare positioned on mound and roots spread. Add water at this time.

{{gwi:768680}}

Fill in and pack soil loosely.

{{gwi:768682}}

A finished product. Top off with water. You can add mulch. I never do. Leave root stock on.

{{gwi:768683}}

Dave

Comments (15)

• gardener365
    15 years ago

Excellent showing Dave.

Everybody needs to keep in mind that this temporary planting is in an area where partial sun is. Fresh grafts can or will burn if exposed to full sun.

Next spring, early before growth begins, Dave will move this tree to it's permanent location, allow growth to expand fully, and then the understock will be removed.

Again, nice showing.

Dax

• jaro_in_montreal
    15 years ago

"Everybody needs to keep in mind that this temporary planting is in an area where partial sun is. Fresh grafts can or will burn if exposed to full sun.color>"

Exactly how *hard* is this rule ?

I'm a bit surprised that you need to apply it to P. pungens.

What about the stress of re-planting -- it seems that this might detract somewhat from temporary planting in an area with partial sun.

Thnx

• gardener365
    15 years ago

No Jaro, All fresh grafts potted are under shade structures at nurseries. The second year is when they sell them.

My friend Chub Harper has a -temporary- planting bed for all new grafts as well. You might also remember Bob Fincham's planting guide for new grafts which is to plant them into a temporary bed as well.

We're not talking anything new here. People transplant conifers in the spring like clockwork, naturally.

All the best,

Dax

• plants77
    15 years ago

looks like you have good loamy soil dcsteg.

• bluespruce53
    15 years ago

Spellcheck ! Picea pungens 'Edith'

• gardener365
    15 years ago

Blue, I spoke with Bob Fincham and he knows the gentleman who named it for his wife 'Edit' who Bob remembers well. It's on his website, the entire story, under 'Hungarian Conifer Trip'.

Dax

• pineresin
    15 years ago

"Spellcheck ! Picea pungens 'Edith'"

So this is an unauthorised Edit . . .

(runs for cover ;-)

• bluespruce53
    15 years ago

Hi Dax, what can I say...nowhere can I find this plant listed as 'Edit', but absolutely everywhere it is listed as 'Edith' I suppose you guys in the states can call it what you want, everyone else calls it 'Edith'.
    Just for information, The name of Dr. Elemer Barabits wife is Erzsebet, according to my research.

• bobfincham
    15 years ago

Hi Dax,

You can stay with 'Edit'. Dr. Barabits didn't always call his wife by her formal name.

When I was visiting with him and photographed his plant in his nursery, he made it plane through my friends' interpreting that the correct spelling was 'Edit'.

Bomer Nursery in Holland brought a number of his plants into Holland when the Iron Curtain was still in place. This was one of the plants and they added the 'H' to the name. Since they were the originating source for this plant, evryone who got it followed their lead. I did the same thing until I met Dr. Barabits. Now I use the name he wanted and I market the plant under the name he gave it.

It is similar to the Germanizing of Pinus lucodermis (or heldrichii) 'Smidt' into 'Schmidtii', which upsets a number of my Czech friends.

Bob

• pineresin
    15 years ago

"It is similar to the Germanizing of Pinus lucodermis (or heldrichii) 'Smidt' into 'Schmidtii', which upsets a number of my Czech friends"

Businský (Pruhonice, Czech Republic) cites that as Pinus heldreichii 'Smidtii'.

Resin

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    15 years ago

'Smidtii' is probably ok (just Latinized), it's 'Schmidtii' that draws angst (Germanized then Latinized).

tj

• jaro_in_montreal
    15 years ago

Looks to me like a problem stemming from a lack of understanding of the German or Czech pronunciation of 'S' in certain words & names:
    In many cases, an 'S' in a German word or name is pronounced the way English pronounce 'Sch'.
    This is particularly true when the letter is followed by a 't', as in Einstein (pronounced "Einschtein") or Stamitz (pronounced "Schtamitz").
    In Czech (as in Pruhonice), we would simply put an apostrophe over the 'S' (looks like 'Â') to get the same result.
    Of course if you don't have these apostrophes in your alphabet, then you're pretty much obliged to use 'Sch', if you want to get people to pronounce the words properly.

To my dismay, most radio & TV announcers & show hosts are unaware of this, and keep right on pronouncing famous names like Einstein completely wrong.
    The public hears nothing else, so they do likewise.
    Whatever....

• gardener365
    15 years ago

Now Google will have a Garden Web thread though for everyone to see and that's real good.

We really couldn't spread the word in any better medium.

Dax

• bluespruce53
    15 years ago

'Edith' is the accepted name, and given that there might be some merit in the claim that Dr. Barabit originally wanted the plant called Edit does not justify a change to that name. Picea pungens 'Edith' has been well documented and published and the name is legitimate.

• gardener365
    15 years ago

It's sort of like 'Wintergreen' 'Hetz Wintergreen'. I'll label mine as either.

Dax

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor