Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pinus sylvestris 'Watereri' or 'Watereri Globe'

Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 23, 11 at 10:42

I picked up an $8 Pinus sylvestris 'Watereri' but it also listed 'Watereri Globe' on the tag.

I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as 'Watereri Globe'? And its simply 'Watereri' and will likely mature at 8-12' x 8-12'. With a 10 year size of about 5' x 5'.

Can anyone confirm for me? Thanks!

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pinus sylvestris 'Watereri' or 'Watereri Globe'

Will, the one at your pic looks totaly differend then the "normal" 'Watereri' which does have a pyramidal growing habbit.
The branches of the 'Watereri' does have another angle which give it this pyramidal shape.
Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the 'Watereri Globe'.
Is there a tag with some info of the nurserey who brought it into the trade?
Maybe you can ask them about it's origin...

o

8 bucks? What, are they virtually giving conifers away in the US?

Very nice find. Keeper.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 23, 11 at 21:50

Severn, I'm starting to see alot of deals as of late with this this heat wave. Some places aren't moving stock. Its been a horrendous year. A cold wet spring and then BOOM, heat wave with minimal rain.

Same place had a 4' (1.2m) wide Picea pungens 'Glauca Globosa' in a 7 gallon container for $30! I almost bought it but it was a bit too pot bound.

Joy,
Unfortunately this plant came from a box store, just happen to see while shopping for a dolly. Couldn't pass it up for $8. Plant was $28, then $19, then $12 and now $8 (they still had all the various old signs up for some reason).

I had to save the little bugger. The folks there surely don't know whats what. I pulled down a Picea omorika 'Bruns' from the shelf too and an employee stopped by and said "Thats a nice plant, didn't even know we serbian spruces".
I wonder what this plant could be. Is it possible its still 'Watereri' but this one just happens to be a strange duck?

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 24, 11 at 13:37

You will definitely have to work on the roots coming out of that undersized pot.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 24, 11 at 20:59

You bet I will, already took a look but figured what the heck.

I want to start unraveling now but I know I have to wait about a month.

o

Btw Will, I asked you a quiestion in the topic about my Picea corner.
Maybe you overlooked it... :0)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here