Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sluice

rain

sluice
11 years ago

After receiving 0.52 inches of rain for the entire month of June, it rained 1.10 inches yesterday. Much needed!

To celebrate, we took a drive to the mountains.

Here's a nice Picea engelmannii.

Abies lasiocarpa

Picea engelmannii with unusual habit

Forest

Stopped by to visit some old acquaintances.

Pinus aristata 'Paiute' - broom with cones

Bristlecone pine broom cone

Bristlecone pine broom cone

Picea engelmannii 'Warrior'

New foliage on Picea engelmannii 'Warrior'

Wildlife sighting at timberline

View toward South Park

A dusting of fresh snow up top

Comments (18)

• Cher
    11 years ago

Magnificent! The Moose photo is definite calendar material. So are the last 2, especially the last one which should make everyone want to visit there.

I'm so envious of your rain but very happy for you.
    Cher

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

104 with a heat index of 110 yesterday .. thats RFH in Celsius ...

the NEW snow.. is surreal ..

lol

thx

ken

ps: been reading a bunch of mountain man novels.. to see that south park pic.. and consider me and a horse... it just kind of blows my mind.. to think how many days.. it would take to cross such ... [and to think of all that effort.. just to meet up with cartman]

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• botann
    11 years ago

Cher, that's an Elk.
    Nate, were you north or south of South Park?
    Nice picture!
    Mike

• Cher
    11 years ago

Isn't that the same thing? LOL Kidding! I sure wouldn't know one from another except they're all big Moose looking creatures that are very beautiful and elegant, but thanks Mike, at least next time I will say Elk. Of course it will probably be something else next time. :)
    Cher

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    11 years ago

Nice pictures. Where can I buy a 'Warrior' grafted onto Picea abies?

• harv2016
    11 years ago

Congrats on your rain, envious but happy for you. Great pictures of the bristle cone.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Congrats Nate with the rain!
    The celebration is giving us some very nice pics.

That Abies lasiocarpa broom make's me wish that it was winter allready so the broomhunting season was open to collect scions for propagation! :0)

I also like it very much to see some pics again of the Pinus aristata 'Paiute' with it's cones and the Picea engelmannii 'Warrior'.
    Both are very nice finds!

David, I guess that you can't buy the 'Warrior' at any place.
    This is because it's only spread among a few conifer collectors for their collection and not for commercial goals...

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Very nice...looks so refreshing! Sure are some great looking brooms out in your area.

I'm convinced its not going to rain the rest of the summer. Considering the 10 day forecast I'll be at 0.8" over a 70 day period.

• davidtree
    11 years ago

We got 1" last night nice pictures.

• Simoni
    11 years ago

Congratulations on a wonderful trip and photos. Photo No. 2 is a new WB?
    L+M S

• greenhaven
    11 years ago

Wonderful photos and that last one is especially a doozy! Thanks for the look...

Shannon

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    11 years ago

sluice,

Happy dance time! It rained .75" here on Friday and another 2.25" on Saturday. I was pulling a dead tree Saturday morning and that .75" of rain had barely penetrated the top 2" of soil. It was that dry. I've not watered anything since Thursday and am so grateful. Here's hoping for relief for the rest of you in drought.

Thanks for the tour, Nate! Did you get to see any of the ash runoff from the fire zones in the streams? They're predicting it'll kill a lot of fish and I'm curious how long it'll take to reach the South Platte.

Barb

• bengz6westmd
    11 years ago

Thank goodness for the summer monsoon in CO. It must've had some effect on the CO wildfires.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Bee-yoo-tee-ful.

And 'Warrior is kickin'. Those are nice aquaintances you have there.

Hopefully the rain quells some fires.

tj

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Yeeeeaaah this is great dude. Real swank, kickin, conifer shots! Appreciate it as always & wish I was there sometimes.

davidrt28: I'm not at liberty to say where but 'Warrior' is being cultivated as of last winter at a large nursery chain. It's gonna be years until they'll be on the market, however, they will be available & I couldn't even guess as to when.

Best Regards,

Dax

• sluice
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Cher, Ken, Mike, DavidRT, Harv, Edwin, Will, DavidTree, L+M, Shannon, Barb, Beng, TJ, and Dax!

Ken, next time I'll keep an eye out for cartman!

Mike, we were north of South Park.

Davidrt, good question. Edwin and Dax, good answers! I have it grafted on P. pungens, but don't know about P. abies.

Edwin and L+M, that new WB is on the list for next winter!

Barb, we weren't near the burn areas, although I'm hoping to get up to Woodland Park sometime soon.

• zsolti_hungary
    11 years ago

CARTMAN is the best! "Scr. u guys I'm going home...." I wish u not to be at home, go for trips and share us! Thx

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    11 years ago

"I'm not at liberty to say where but 'Warrior' is being cultivated as of last winter at a large nursery chain"

Great. Hopefully it isn't at one of the wholesalers or specialty nurseries that, if past trends indicate, is likely to go bankrupt in the next 5 years! I'll check again with you then...maybe you will be at liberty. I've added it to my spreadsheet of desired plants.