Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sissyz_gw

Conifers and winter wind burn

sissyz
16 years ago

We have recently moved to a 5 acre lot that used to be farm land. The wind out of the west is incredible, here. I have never lived in the country before, but I have never seen such wind in my life.

I would like to establish a wind break on the west side of the house. Last year, I planted four Norway Spruce, two of which the deer ate down to 2' stumps. As I drive around and look at what others have planted, I see the White pine suffers from wind burn and the west side of them is brown until April.

The Black pine does not brown, but it's open form isn't really suitable for a wind screen!

I wonder if anyone here could offer any advice?

The site specifically is full sun, Zone 5, Illinois prairie soil, and WINDY!

Thanks for any help!

Comments (6)

• pinetree30
    16 years ago

An effective windbreak is more than just a row of trees. It needs to have some depth, and should include shrubs to fill in the gaps between trees that develop as their crowns move up. There is lots known about how to do this in the plains and prairie states as shelterbelt technology is well developed. I'd suggest you consult your county agent or extension forester.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    16 years ago

look in the white pages under US GVMT ... for your local soil conservation district ...

call them or visit them ...

wind break are.. by definition ... soil conservation ... lol .. we have to teach you city folks everything... lol ... actually i was in the same boat 7 years ago ... its wonderful .. sooo quiet.. and sooo dark at night.. did you know there where that many stars in the sky ...

anyway .... the SCD ... usually offers trees and conifers in small sizes at VERY REASONABLE prices at the proper planting times ... and they sell stuff to keep the deer away ... i got 25 white pines for 16$ ... yes they are one foot ... yes i had to protect them.. yes some got bitten ... they even sell a planting gizmo for bulk planting ...

but ... in planting a wind break .. you must think diversity ... they probably also offer information on such ... a proper wind break would be 3 lines of plants ... and a diversity of plants .. etc ...

i am no expert in it all ... but the SCD peeps ought to give you more info than you need.. and it will be specific to your county .... i have never tried to see if they have a website ....

the link is for a general SCD search ... maybe you can add to the search by using your state.. and/or your county ...

though we can add to ideas ... we are limited in our knowledge of your exact county .. and these peeps should be able to really help ...

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: google search

• sissyz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ken,
    I sure appreciate all that info! I have been studying up and have a better idea what to do! I did check the Illinois Soil and Conservation District, but couldn't find any free or cheap trees, but will go to the office to see when they do give them out!
    Really, my question is this: which conifers do you recommend that don't suffer burn?
    As I said, the white pine around here suffers real bad burn.
    The Soil and Conserv. office recommends evergreens that do suffer burn! I see it in my neighbor's yard and they don't bounce back until April or so.
    So, I was looking for personal experience. The wind here is constant and in the winter, it gets so bad, we can't hang our feeders!!
    Thanks for your help!
    Sissy

• nemoooo
    16 years ago

Sissy, I certainly feel your pain! We are located nearly on top of a mountain here in PA, and we're in the same "windy" boat. One thing I would advise you NOT to plant in such a situation is Douglas Firs or Hemlocks though. We have had both severely damaged by the high winds here. Half of them look hideous with the west side of them almost completely bare! (however the east sides of them look gorgeous! LOL). I think when we replace some of them this fall, we are going to give Norway Spruce and/or Serbian Spruce a try.

What does everyone else think? (Dax? Ken? Resin?) :)

• sissyz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I sure appreciate your input about the Hemlock, although it is not widely planted in this area because of it's "dainty" reputation. In my life, I have never experienced such wind. I was born and raised in Chicago, you wouldn't think it would be that different, I am only an hour and a half away, but the wind in the plains without all those big buildings is incredible!!!
    I hope someone will be able to post their own experiences!

• conifers
    16 years ago

Yes, likely the extention office will have a few of these, if not, well find em if interested:

Picea abies
    Picea orientalis
    Picea pungens (worst of the ones here)
    Picea omorika
    Pinus resinosa
    Abies nordmanniana
    Abies balsamea
    Abies veitchii
    Abies concolor
    Pinus cembra
    Pinus koraiensis
    Pinus parviflora
    Pinus peuce
    Pinus pungens
    Pinus rigida
    Pinus x schwerinii
    Pinus x loblolly
    Pinus enchinata
    Thuja occidentalis
    Chamaecyparis pisifera filifera
    Juniperus virginiana (look up cedar apple rust)
    Chamaecyparis thyoides

Deciduous conifers:
    Larix decidua
    Larix kaempferi
    Metasequoia glyptostroboides
    Taxodium distichum

That outta help.

Dax