Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
High altitude grafting in late summer

Posted by Jarpe z4-z5 Finland (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 11:24

This time of summer when new growth has nearly woodened (still some green colour in bark), is second season for me to graft conifers.
Results can be even better than early spring becauce there is no growing of shoots at the time when grafting wound is healing.
Only developement is attaching of surfaces and woodening of scion, new growth comes next spring.

I try to create nice decorative trees that have different form and color on top of them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: High altitude grafting in late summer

• Posted by Jarpe z4-z5 Finland (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 11:31

Grafting is made into hight of maby 5 meters. This time of year norvay spruce is very flexible and can easily be bent.

o

Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 11:36

I made 6 grafts on a top hoping that atleast one will take.

o

Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 11:46

shading nets can be left there for whole autumn and winter. I take them off next spring in time of new growth.
I hope i can take new picture after some 15 years with my son standing in front again as a grown up man and trees behind him look very different too. I grafted P.abies Inversa on top of left one hoping it in future flows down like waterfall. Picea pungens some blue selection on right.

o

Great info Jarpe. Good luck with your decorative treetops.

When would you say is the last date for summer grafting before it is too late. Does it work for pines as well? I have one I may not have access to in spring so I'd like to try but don't know when I will get to it right now.

o

Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 1:52

Severnside, for me it would be about 10.of August. There haven´t been success for me after that. It is question of state of developement in new shoot. I believe that bark should not be totally hardened but still little greenish.

I quess there must be enough juises flowing for wound to heal properly so that graft can survive the winter. ( I have experience only from picea abies and pinus sylvestris rootstock).

Maby you can have success after mentioned deadline if grafts are protected from freezing, but i have no experience of such. I allways leave grafts outside for winter.

o

Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 2:18

Here is graft made few weeks ago. Pinus contorta variegated form grafted on contorta growing outside. Bark colour makes me imagine that `healing powers´ are still very active.

Here is a link that might be useful: pinus contorta late summer graft

o

I taught college freshmen to graft last fall (early October), and will be doing the same this coming semester. Many planted their trees immediately and had good success rates. We grafted P. abies 'Reflexa', P. abies 'Pusch', and P. glauca 'Pendula' all onto big 1# pungens understock from a local nursery. I've had a bunch ask to come back and graft with this year's freshman, so we should end up with about 50 18-20 year-olds grafting conifers.

Thanks for sharing your grafting, Jarpe.

o

The grafts look great, Jari. It will be interesting to see the P. abies waterfall in a few years!

o

Well your timing of this thread was perfect Jarpe. I asked work today if they could send me to collect a consignment from the place has another special mugo pine. I managed to grab a scion quickly as a lot of people were around and grafted it tonight. Had you not given this info I would have missed the early grafting season next year as I leave them this September. A pine I had given up on may now be a last chance success.

Thanks!

o

Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 14:41

Here is a pic i took from my friend´s garden few weeks ago. He likes to play around with shapes and colours. I want to try something similar too.

o

Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 14:48

Another pic from friend´s garden at Kausala, Southern Finland. Brooms grafted to decorate privacy screen.

o

Hy!

That with the brooms on the hedge is a really clever idea. If you dont want the hedge to grow higher or make long shoots that you have to prune down: Graft some brooms on the tops, and the hedge will never grow out of shape anymore :D!

Greetings, Andreas
- who is considering to do that on his Thuja hedge with T. occidentalis 'Danica'

o

Wow Jarpe, those pics are amazing, I missed them last time around. So if you wanted to make a tease on broom collectors you could prepare a forest with grafted brooms and tell them it's the best place to hunt for them. They might not notice the graft lines!

o

*laugh*
Yes, that's good :D!

o

Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 1:43

Severnside, great idea! Then i could rent rooms for broomhunters that come in large numbers from all around to make discoveries. Ah!!!...damn!, we should have had this conversation privately, now all my potential customers have read this and business opportunity is ruined..:(

o

Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 15:37

Here is a link that presents some other pieces from the same artist.

Here is a link that might be useful: combinations of forms in same plant

o

7ern,
that is absolutely the funniest thing I have read on the forums
jarpe,
the grafts are "funny" too
ron "never made a graft myself , so I shouldn't talk"

o

Hello!

I did not know where to ask elsewhere and need desparately help :(!

Uff, yeah, the worst case has come: i knew a old variegated Norway Spruce some 3 km away at an old iron mine.
In every winter since 2010 i 've visited it to find scions for grafting. The qualitiy of the fallen branchlets was always relatively poor, so only one succeeded.
And yesterday my wife come, say she has driven along the grove and means, it is so light up there... My heart really dropped, and like lightning we drove up there; and really: The new owners of the property have freshly lumbered all the old, nearly 120 year old spruces, including the variegated one *cry*...

With a heavy rock in my stomach i rescued, what was to rescue, some of the nicest variegated parts from the treetop, and now i want to ask: Makes it any sense, to graft them now, to this late time of year?

I had feared for a longer time, that the trees will be cut down one un- nice day when i came out there, but must it have to be in this probably really unfavorable time?

Pfff...
Well, do you mean a grafting makes sense now? And if, what wil be the best way to get them over the winter?

Kindly,
Andreas

o

Mon, Sep 1, 14 at 13:31

I hope you have them in fridge. I think you don´t really have a choice but to try it. Maby graft them and keep them from freezing Inside garage next to big window, cool temperatures till you raise temperature to 12 celcius in end of February and get lots of extra artificial light.

very good idea would also be to send some to a pro like your neighbor Edwin. You could contact him via email. You find address at his website edwinsmitsconifers.

o

Hello Jarpe,

oh, Edwin is a really good idea. I 've heard of him from a friend, Wolfgang Keidel, who ist a friend of Edwin.
Ok, i will write him immediately and try meanwhile some graftings on every spruce- seedling i have.

Yes, i have the scions in good shelter in a humid place with a wet towel over them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here