Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texjagman

Over Excited Hoopsi

texjagman
10 years ago

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Here are two views...one side with flash the other without.......

mark

Comments (23)

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Personally I'd select the strongest of the two and snip the other this fall or early spring.

Too vigorous of a tree to let that one play out. There are too many healthy buds there.

Things are looking good in the background there?

• harv2016
    10 years ago

Future withch's broom?

• texjagman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Broom was the first thing I thought of when it began, but this is only about 8-10 year old tree about 6' tall. Too young for a broom I would think.

If they both continue to push together I will have to make a decision on which one to cut. But for now I just think it's kinda cool to watch unfold.

mark

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    10 years ago

Mark, I've seen brooms on younger trees than yours. My vote is to let her run. It looks like an interesting mutation you've got there.

~Dave

• ogcon
    10 years ago

I believe Dave makes a good point.It could turn out to be
    similiar to the 'Merrills Broom' in Hidden Lakes Garden and
    growing in that position it may even grow cones.A lot to hope for but something I personnally would be excited about.I hope you let it develope for a while.Good luck!Doug

• Ruslan.Hupov
    10 years ago

I think it's a broom ... and it must be preserved. and watch on their behavior ..

• clement_2006
    10 years ago

In my opinion, it's interesting to graft next spring.
    Clement

• texjagman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I have no intension of cutting on it for the next year or two so if it does turn out to be a broom, I'm not a grafter and would be glad to send scions to anyone interested in them.

mark

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

FYI...My Hoopsi and Picea omorika 'Pendula Bruns' did the same thing with the stress of transplant 2 years ago and then the drought last year.

Wouldn't it be odd that you'd have two brooms by the way?

It would be awesome if it was though, keep us posted next year!

• texjagman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This Hoopsii was also transplanted two years ago so I have been assuming this was also stress. But we'll see.

Mark

• gardener365
    10 years ago

I sent an email Mark.

Best regards,

Dax

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

is that the whole plant... how big is the rest...

3 times i have come back and looked.. and presumed this was just a one foot tall.. second year graft.. but now i am thinking.. you arent really showing the rest

no doubt.. if you could look in there.. without making yourself bleed... you will find the old terminal bud.. that some robin or greckle killed by perching on it too often ....

ken

• botann
    10 years ago

Looks like about seven feet tall.
    I'd let it grow and see what happens.
    Mike

• texjagman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken - in my earlier posts above I mentioned it is about 8-10 years old, about 6' tall and was transplanted about 2 years ago.

I'm going to wait until at least next spring to see what happens.

mark

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Mark,

Did you get my email?

Dax

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

In any case it looks strange for now...
    I'm very curious how it will develop next spring.

• sluice
    10 years ago

Hoopsi has a great color. Hope something develops there.

• bobfincham
    10 years ago

It would not disrupt the growth habit to cut about ten scions from the growth and have them grafted this winter. That would show fairly quickly if this growth is an aberration or something special. The worst would be getting some young 'Hoopsii' plants.

Bob

• texjagman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dax, I didn't get the email. My profile may be out of date....send it to mdestes@dcpmidstream.com.

mark

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Thanks, sending an email.

Dax

• ospreynn
    10 years ago

I have seen that happening to my spruce as well.. in my case it was stress... Also, like whaas mentioned, very unlikely to happen to two branches at the same time....

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

It's very unlikely to have two brooms at the same time, but it will happen somethimes.

There's a very big chance that stress is the cause here...

• clement_2006
    8 years ago

What new about this mutation ??