Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dawn redwood, juglone intolerant?

Posted by aew75 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 11:53

My DR has been in the ground for at least 3 years and is about 15-20ft. In the last few weeks it has almost completely died. Check out proximity to neighbors black walnut in pic (first really tall tree to right, on either side are holly and a dogwood) In the walnut's defense it has been very hot and dry. This tree is more sensitive than I thought! Anyone else had one dry out so quickly? Or suspected black walnut was to blame for dieback?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dawn redwood, juglone intolerant?

aew,
Lack of water!!new trees planted as large specimens need time to build root systems
DRs like LOTS of water,,,,,,,,not black wal
looks toast
here's one of mine 35ft from b. w.,,,,,,ron

o

My metasequoia ogon is probably 100 ft from my nearest walnut so I have no real expertise with that.

I will say my big, in the ground a decade since it was a foot tall, metasequoia lost 95% of its foliage 2 July's ago in the heat and drought. I was watering it for maybe an hour or so a week which kept my smaller ogon happy.

That summer was sooo dry. After it defoliated I switched to I guess six to eight hours of sprinkler on it every third night and the ground was still not turning into a mud puddle. By September I think the tree had more foliage and set an almost normal number of buds for the next year.

So, I say water the shucks out of your tree because what else can you do. These are difficult to flood.

Plantkiller, are those cats playing by your metasequoia?!?!? Nice tree and good of them to volunteer to be scale for your pic lol

Here is a link that might be useful: It got worse than this picture shows!

o

I find, that in some respects DR is the more temperamental species but in other respects BC is more finicky.

DR's need near constant moisture, they resent more extreme continental climates (thus doing better near the coasts). They resent prematurely early Spring heat or late Spring frosts. They also are extremely sensitive to salts.

BC's are more heat and drought tolerate but are also more sensitive about transplanting and getting established. Once established, I have more hope of long term success with the BC. Makes sense, as this is the species that was eventually 'naturally selected' for much of North America (in place of an earlier rival...Dawn Reds..,which were once native to the continent.

(Dawn Red in Autumn in photo.)

o

Thanks for all the great info!
My arborist took a sample to our local extension. Obviously, sample was all dried out which pointed to something "downstream". His opinion was that the actually killer was an opportunistic canker, specifically Bot. We will see when we take it down. He wrote as a side note that he has seen voles take down a mature DR, and can easily add the the stresses. Yikes!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here