Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gamekeeper_gw

Thuga orientalis 'Van Hoey Smith'

gamekeeper
11 years ago

I planted this plant a year back in April and it suffered alot of winter/spring kill.However it seems to be coming back now should I prune the browned branches? New growth keeps appearing on branches that appear dead.

Comments (5)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

hey gamey

sounds very typical to mine in z5 MI ... and as noted it always rebounds ...

its simply the white tissue that can not take the drying winds of winter ...

i have no idea how you should prune.. w/o a picture.. see link ...

and .... apparently.. live growth.. indicates that a branch is NOT dead ...

for us.. in the cold white north.. this is a plant that has ONE prime season.. just after flush in spring ... and then 2 ugly seasons.. and one dormant season.. if space is an issue.. you can do a lot better that this piece of carp ... unless you enjoy the challenge.. been there.. do that.. all the time .. and i often walk by it.. and wonder why i keep it.. but on 5 acres.. i surely have no use for that particular space.. otherwise ...

all that said.. its an arb.. cut it anyway you like ... that.. in and of it self.. will not hurt it ...

pic????

ken

ps: i would bet.. this is a plant that thrives in the PNW ... but one thing for sure.. we aint the PNW ...

Here is a link that might be useful: use the HTML code ... paste it where you type ..

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

I have one of these here, it is on a dry slope and not the most lush specimen - but then Platycladus orientalis often produces a thin crown with age. I think the palest parts of the foliage burn a bit in the summer, as often happens with variegated conifers. So there might sometimes be a little vulnerability to cold present also, I suppose.

According to B. Fincham the cuttings were sent to the US after being obtained from Van Hoey-Smith, with his name being on the label to indicate where they were from - and not the name of the cultivar, which as I remember it is something like 'Aureovariegata'.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Yep, it's true name is Platycladus orientalis 'Aureovariegata'...

• gamekeeper
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys pretty much what I thought.Bob Stewart said he had one in a rather vulnerable spot that was doing well in MI.I will let it carry on for a bit and maybe one day will lose my serenity and it will be gone.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

ya know.. i knew bob personally.. and relished his garden.. and laughed hysterically at his catalog [my fav was the shorthand BAP ... which were very expensive] .....

and my garden is just a hop, skip and jump down 52 from him ..

and he made a lot of claims of things growing well for him..

that grew like carp in my garden ...

i think he had a cozy little micro climate .... that my winter wind blown MI prairie lacked ...

MI is too broad a comment.. to come to conclusions as to success rates ...

ken

ps: Big Ass Pots ...