Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcsteg

Picea glauca 'Morton Tower'

dcsteg
13 years ago

Anybody growing this one. Not much information out there.

Appears to have a slower growing habit then glauca 'Pendula'

Dave

{{gwi:770496}}

Comments (18)

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

The first name given to this plant was Picea glauca 'Morton Arboretum Weeping' which found it's origin in Canada.
    The Picea glauca 'Pendula' founds it's origin in France.
    I have a few small one's so I can't tell you much more about it.
    The "tower" part make's me think that this variety is a fastigiate one...

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Coniferjoy...you say: "The first name given to this plant was Picea glauca 'Morton Arboretum Weeping' which found it's origin in Canada

Are you saying this name has been superseded by a second cultivar name?

Dave

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

yep, that's what I'm saying...

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    13 years ago

coniferjoy...so are you going to tell me the accepted trade name?

Dave

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Dave, I don't know if 'Morton Arboretum Weeping' is the accepted trading name, it's the name that Bob Fincham gave it when he propagated this weeping form several years ago...in that time it didn't have a proper name.

• bobfincham
    13 years ago

I believe I was the first to offer it for sale and it was unnamed at the time. I put a descriptive name on it. Iseli Nursery went with the name 'Pendula' based upon available literature. I had discussions with people at the Morton but nobody wanted to do anything with the name. The name 'Pendula' is used in the trade, even though it is not the 'Pendula' from France. I "console" myself by thinking that either they are so similar that there is no noticeable difference or the one from France is lost to cultivation.

I don't know who put the 'Tower' name on it but I don't think it is a good description of the plant. If it wasn't done by people at the arboretum, it shouldn't be accepted.

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Dave, do you recall the grower?

Dax

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dax...I'll get it today. I think R&R but want to make sure.

I was considering this cultivar but the differences between it and 'Pendula' are insignificant. The 'Tower' seems not to push as much growth as the 'Pendula' and also appears to grow in smaller confines also.

Dave

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Thanks. Also, let me know if you see a Mr. Green Genes Chamaecyparis pisifera, ever.... I made a mistake not buying one the last two years at my local nursery.

Dax

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Today I checked if there are some differences between these 2 Picea glauca weeping forms and yes I saw some:
    'Morton Arboretum Weeping' makes longer shoots and is not so densely branched at a younger age.
    Soon I will make a photo and show these next to eachother...

• sam268
    13 years ago

Coniferjoy, do you have any pics.
    I am acutally in Ontario and would like to know what I can purchase one from its original grower locally?

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I went ahead and purchased this conifer in the above photo today. On close inspection it is different from the 'Pendula'. I like this conifer for several resons. Its uniqueness in the trade is my primary reason for having it. Also I need to move several over grown cultivars and this one will fit in nicely as a replacement.

The nursery will care for this till planting time. 102 F. with a heat index of 112 F. Not the time to stick anything in the ground.

Dave

• sam268
    13 years ago

Any chance you guys can show us more pictures of this plant?

• tunilla
    13 years ago

I suppose that the repeated multiplication of a cultivar's descendants can result in out-breeding of some of the characteristics for wich the original is or was known. Unless there is rigorous selection of the propagating material,and the resulting plants ,it seems hardly surprising that one must end up with a name like (in this particular case) :'Member of the Picea glauca 'Pendula' group'.
    Or,at least, this should accompany any new cultivar name that may be coined for a plant with marginal differences.
    Are there nurseries who supply some sort of pedigree certificate for really unique plants? (I just happen to think that P. glauca 'Pendula' is such a plant,and, the person in France who first saw this tree growing and taking shape, must have thought he or she was a very lucky person indeed!!!)

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

I just made a photo with the both together.
    These are several diffences between those 2:
    'Morton Arboretum Weeping' grows faster, does have longer needles and bigger buds.
    Also this one will have a more open habit at a younger age because it's not so densely branched as the 'Pendula'.

'Morton Arboretum Weeping (l) and 'Pendula' (r)
    {{gwi:704090}}

• texjagman
    13 years ago

Dave,

When I was trying to catch you the other day I was going to ask you a couple of things. I'm probably going to be up your way in the next week or two and wanted to stop in your friend's business to shop but couldn't remember the name of the place.

I'm also on the hunt for a large 8-10' blue....probably either a Hoopsi or Fat Albert and was wondering if he or any other major retailer or wholesaler up that way stocked large stock like that. No-one down here has any current big stock that looks any good.

mark

• sluice
    12 years ago

Thanks Edwin. Here's a foliage pic of the one at Morton Arboretum.
    {{gwi:663152}}

Here is a link that might be useful: p. glauca at morton arboretum

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio